Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've gotten to ride PNW trails in the fall, and while I'm generally aware of the trails being much more rain tolerant than I'm used to, I'm not sure what the local guidance is. For a non-local what's a good rule of thumb about riding after the recent rains? I'm currently in the South Island, but will be moving up to Campbell River area this weekend.

FWIW, I'm totally ok getting wet and muddy and I'm equipped deal with the wet, but I'd like to avoid being "that guy" out on the trails and want to be respectful of the hard work the trail org's put in to keep riding so amazing in BC.

·
I'm really diggin it!
3,068 Posts
I’m in Seattle so not Canadian and I don’t to trail work up there. I don’t have a valid opinion for those particular trails. However, I have heard from many advocates in the PNW when asked about rain rides: “if we didn’t ride in the rain we wouldn’t ride at all.”

The only conditions that I personally refuse to ride in are Freeze/Thaw

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Check Trail Forks and/or the local trail associations, if there any weather related closures they will be listed in the trail descriptions of the areas.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/campbell-river/

If the trails are more clay and dirt based than loam, they can be easily damaged when they are squishy wet, deep enough to leave ruts. Loamy trails can be damaged if they so saturated that there is standing water in large puddles. The rain we had in the last 24 hours can leave things too wet to be on the trails, but all of next week is supposed to be warmer and drier, and the trails drain and dry fast once the rain stops.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the spirit! BTW, your hard work and activism is missed by sensible folks down in Marin. (and I have no doubt the hateful hiker/horse NIMBY crowd are still glad you're someone else's problem now :sad:) Hope you're enjoying the sanity and awesome trails up this way!

·
I'm really diggin it!
3,068 Posts
That's the spirit! BTW, your hard work and activism is missed by sensible folks down in Marin. (and I have no doubt the hateful hiker/horse NIMBY crowd are still glad you're someone else's problem now :sad:) Hope you're enjoying the sanity and awesome trails up this way!
Aww thanks homie. If you find yourself in the Seattle Area id love to show you around. There is nothing to complain about these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
507 Posts
You're probably good to go on most trails unless it's a fresh new trail. Could check out SIMBS (south island mountain bike society) pages they could have updates about stuff around Hartland, most of those trails are good to ride wet though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I took a chance and checked out Harbourview b/c it looked like I could get a feel for the conditions on the long fire road climb up. Worst case I could just do the climb, and turn right back around if it conditions weren't right. Worked out great, trails were actually in great shape and I saw bears!

·
Registered
223 Posts
There aren't too many (legal) trails on the island that I wouldn't ride in the rain. Have never been shamed for riding in the wet, and the parking lots reflect that. As someone who helps out with building, I'd rather repair a crappy part of the trail then tell someone not to ride for 5 months of the year.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Most of the trails around Campbell River are used year round. Beaver Lodge gets well used but can get muddy. Pumphouse and Snowden are good in the wet. Woods Creek and Radar Hill are usually ok. Cumberland gets used year round as well, even in the snow, but UROC will remind people to give the trails a rest during the freeze/ thaw cycles.

If you do Facebook then there are several groups that are good to follow with people asking/posting updates on trail conditions. Campbell River Mountain Bike, Comox Valley Mountain Bike and Vancouver Island Mountain Biking groups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts