Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down Under we are in the midst of our worst drought in living memory.

Some towns are on the verge of running out of water altogether.

On the MTB side of things, a lot of tracks are talcum powder, gravel and assorted rocks and sticks chucked in for good measure.

It's the kingdom of the Front Wheel Washout around here.

Yesterday it was sweltering hot, and humid by virtue of a dozen or so large drops of rain that fell around here somewhere.

This morning I woke to light drizzle and a cool morning - so I hit the local singletrack. It was nice to have some sort of traction in the corners, and tyres that bit into the trail, rather than floated over an amalgam of loose powdery stuff. Also nice to hear that PZZZZZIPP! sound that a rear tyre makes as it spins for a millisecond on wet rocks and roots.

On the flipside, my High Rollers became Steam Rollers in some sections, clinging to the silty mud.

The bush lost it's flinty, tinder dry smell and smelled of wet eucalypt. Not enough rain to do us any good, but nice and cooling and cleansing.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
I know what you mean!

Over Xmas/NYE it was tinder dry here in Canberra. But we had a little rain and after that it was just really strange to be able to rail corners again. I'm finding the Maxxis Crossmark on the front and Larsen on the rear is working nicely in the powder. The amount of time I've had to unclip this summer is ridiculous.

I remember one ride where all four of us washed out on the same corner in full on 'train' motion. Quite funny. After that my riding buddies were thinking about poking a hole in my mate's hyrdation pack to wet the trail and let him lead our rides:D

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
I think we had A day without rain....sometime in the last few months.

Our world is a soggy sponge here in the NW. Only break we had for soggy trails was when it was covered with ice for a bit.

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
While Tasmania has historically been thought of as a rather damp state, the last few years have been unseasonably warmer and incredibly dry. While nowhere near as bad as the rest of Australia and perhaps not as noticeable, it’s still had a huge impact.

The dry weather has been great for riding, but the light drizzle we have had the last couple of days has been very welcome. Hopefully you guys get some decent coverage where it’s really needed soon. :thumbsup:

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Well talk about irony. We’ve had a couple of years to post about this drought, but now that we have it rains! :p

I’m not sure how I can word this as there is so much to cover, but Tasmania, Victoria, South Australia, New South Wales, Queensland and the Northern Territory all saw huge downpours over the last 48 hours. While some states only saw a modest shower, others recorded their highest daily rainfall in over 60 years. Some towns even recorded their wettest January in 130 years practically overnight.

This obviously saw extensive flooding in a number of states causing loss of roads and infrastructure, while parts of New South Wales recorded their hottest temperature in January in the last 10 years, sparking more bushfires… :confused:

Maybe some of the other Aussie guys here will be able to fill you in with their local details, but I guess if you’re really keen you can look into weather reports yourselves. It’s by no means the end of the draught, but this recent rain has been welcomed by many. :thumbsup:

Hopefully there will be more to come, it’s about bloody time!! :D

Dave.

·
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've had enough rain to thoroughly wet the ground, finally. About 12mm around here.

So next ride I expect some pretty good traction and some packed dirt.

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
We got around 16mm here in Launceston, although in Hobart they got over 67mm since 9am!

I have heard stories of guys swimming across the local hockey ground down there, but one would never know. You know how these stories grow…

It's total craziness regardless! :p

·
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Low_Rider said:
I have heard stories of guys swimming across the local hockey ground down there, but one would never know. You know how these stories grow…
A few years back, there was flooding around here on Boxing Day - a local sunken oval was a metre deep - the kids were swimming around in it and having a great old time. Never mind that the water had come from gutters, drains, before it burst a creek and ended up there - there would have been all kinds of bugs. I imagine the ear infection and gastro cases went up shortly thereafter....

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.