Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 specialized fuse comp that I ride with 35mm rims on 27.5x2.8 chupacabras and also on 30mm rims with 29x2.3 barzo/peyote.

And for the most part it's perfect except..

When I am rolling with the chupacabras I get a ton of pedal strikes, so much that I don't take them anywhere new, because when I get a strike, my bike stops and I go forward (tons of belly and chest bruises ). When I roll on the 29 wheels I don't have the issues, but I really like the extra cush/traction I get with my plus tires.

I practically upgraded everything on my fuse so I am just looking for a frame that I can put my upgrades on, and sell my fuse stock. I been looking at the Ragley Marley because it has a slightly higher bottom bracket and the reach is a tad longer which I think I might like. The Marley comes stock with WTB 2.6 tires so I think I can squeeze the 2.8 chupacabras in and be happy if I stay away from mud. That being said does anyone have experience with both bikes? Or input on a better cheap frame?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a 2016 specialized fuse comp that I ride with 35mm rims on 27.5x2.8 chupacabras and also on 30mm rims with 29x2.3 barzo/peyote.

When I am rolling with the chupacabras I get a ton of pedal strikes, so much that I don't take them anywhere new, because when I get a strike, my bike stops and I go forward (tons of belly and chest bruises ). When I roll on the 29 wheels I don't have the issues, but I really like the extra cush/traction I get with my plus tires.

I practically upgraded everything on my fuse so I am just looking for a frame that I can put my upgrades on, and sell my fuse stock. I been looking at the Ragley Marley because it has a slightly higher bottom bracket and the reach is a tad longer which I think I might like. The Marley comes stock with WTB 2.6 tires so I think I can squeeze the 2.8 chupacabras in and be happy if I stay away from mud. That being said does anyone have experience with both bikes? Or input on a better cheap frame?
Hello , did you think about the Nukeproof Scout 275?
It has really wide stays and it officially can mount 2,8 tires. It has a shorter reach compared to the Marley frame. ( same m size ). it also has a slightly slacker HA with 65 instead of 65,5 ( but on 140mm forks compared to 130mm of the Marley geo ) . I costs a bit more but comes wih a nice Nukeproof headset , something you will have to had to the cheapish Marley price. I am looking at those frames too since Im building a new plus HT from scratch. I already have have fork and and wheels.( 2,8 tires on 35mm rims ). Another candidate could also be the Commencal Meta HT which can be set up with 2,8 27,5 wheels or 2,4-2,5 29 wheels.. But it needs a longer fork. 150mm to 170mm. Reach is similar to the Scout as the head tube angle. Price is almost the same, but here you don't get the headset as the NP Scout.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello , did you think about the Nukeproof Scout 275?
It has really wide stays and it officially can mount 2,8 tires. It has a shorter reach compared to the Marley frame. ( same m size ). it also has a slightly slacker HA with 65 instead of 65,5 ( but on 140mm forks compared to 130mm of the Marley geo ) . I costs a bit more but comes wih a nice Nukeproof headset , something you will have to had to the cheapish Marley price. I am looking at those frames too since Im building a new plus HT from scratch. I already have have fork and and wheels.( 2,8 tires on 35mm rims ). Another candidate could also be the Commencal Meta HT which can be set up with 2,8 27,5 wheels or 2,4-2,5 29 wheels.. But it needs a longer fork. 150mm to 170mm. Reach is similar to the Scout as the head tube angle. Price is almost the same, but here you don't get the headset as the NP Scout.
I looked at the scout before, one of the guys on the GMBN shredded one of those, but the bottom bracket is a tad lower with a bigger fork, and I have a 120mm fork so I would get more pedal strikes.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The nukeproof comes in 27.5 and 29in versions. Afaik, the only difference is the bb drop, with the 29'er version having like -70mm, while the 27.5 version has -55mm.

Not sure how which version youve been considering, but that's one thing to factor in, if you find yourself needing more or less bb drop.

Another option is thinner pedals, and shorter crank arms, if pedal strikes are getting too ridiculous.

Another cheap frame to consider, is the NS eccentric. Comes in aluminum, and steel iirc, with a price that is right around the ragley and nukeproof options. I don't remember It's specs off the top of my head though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The nukeproof comes in 27.5 and 29in versions. Afaik, the only difference is the bb drop, with the 29'er version having like -70mm, while the 27.5 version has -55mm.

Not sure how which version youve been considering, but that's one thing to factor in, if you find yourself needing more or less bb drop.

Another option is thinner pedals, and shorter crank arms, if pedal strikes are getting too ridiculous.

Another cheap frame to consider, is the NS eccentric. Comes in aluminum, and steel iirc, with a price that is right around the ragley and nukeproof options. I don't remember It's specs off the top of my head though.
Yea, I like the NS eccentric, didn't really look at the specs since I can't find it in stock without a huge markup.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a Ragley Marley, I guess I will let you all know when it comes in, and I get to build it.
Congrats :).

And please do share your thoughts on it. I've been considering picking up a frame sometime to build up a HT. And like you, I noticed that the Ragley frames are priced pretty competitively, but I can't seem to find any real reviews/user experiences with them. So any thoughts you have on it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats :).

And please do share your thoughts on it. I've been considering picking up a frame sometime to build up a HT. And like you, I noticed that the Ragley frames are priced pretty competitively, but I can't seem to find any real reviews/user experiences with them. So any thoughts you have on it would be appreciated.
My Ragley came in, I ran home and started to swap out parts from my fuse.
I doesn't have the same headset as the fuse (wish I noticed that earlier)
but just for fun I still stuck the fork in and put my tires on to see if my bb will be higher. looks like I am going to gain about 1/2" ?

Here are a couple of pics till I get my headset, and I hope I'll have it built next weekend.
Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Electric blue Iron Cobalt blue

Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle fork Bicycle part

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Automotive tire Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

I replaced my 175 arms for 165 great improvement for a few $. If need be i would get 160. Now my 40 mm are with 3 front and 2.8 rear but have room for 2 x 2.8

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
  1. Any update on how the Marley rides with the 120 fork and 27.5x2.8 tires after a few months of riding?
I am loving it, except for the fact that I can't fit 29er wheels in it. Here are a couple updated photos after I built it.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You sure you can't fit a 29er in there? I just picked up this frame as a cheap trial into a more modern geo frame, and my test fit of my 29er wheel with a 2.3" fit OK in the rear. I'm running 27.5 x 2.7 or so in practice, though.
Absolutely sure a 29x2.25 Vittoria Peyote tire on a 30mm rim does not fit. It gets caught up in the upper support of the seat-stays (Picture attached is 27.5x2.8 Bontreger Chupacabra on a 35mm rim) It looks like there is enough room, but it rubs the tire
Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Rim Tread Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Rim Light

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Interesting. The general rule of thumb I'd heard is that most bikes that fit a 27x2.8 tire will also fit a 29x2.3. For instance, I know offhand that the Whyte T130 (27.5in trail bike like the SC 5010), and the Whyte S120 (29'er trail bike like the Norco Optic) use the same frame/rear triangle. The S120 only fits 2.3in wide tires though.

But... it appears that is not always the case. Thats unfortunate :(.

Glad to hear you like it otherwise. I've had my eye on that frame for the same reasons (cheap way to pickup an aggressive frame to maybe use spare parts on it).

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Interesting. The general rule of thumb I'd heard is that most bikes that fit a 27x2.8 tire will also fit a 29x2.3. For instance, I know offhand that the Whyte T130 (27.5in trail bike like the SC 5010), and the Whyte S120 (29'er trail bike like the Norco Optic) use the same frame/rear triangle. The S120 only fits 2.3in wide tires though.

But... it appears that is not always the case. Thats unfortunate :(.

Glad to hear you like it otherwise. I've had my eye on that frame for the same reasons (cheap way to pickup an aggressive frame to maybe use spare parts on it).
If you want, you can check mine out. I bought it for a winter bike and for riding tamer terrain with the wife.

Although a bit heavy, it's a heap of fun and a stupendously great deal. It tackles steep terrain far better than I expected.

I'm pretty sure that you're close to me so you can just send me a PM.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.