Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking for something old & interesting as a baby trailer hauler (the coaster braked typhoon wasn't going to cut it) and i came across this. pretty decent shape for its age. all original parts spec - full xt, cbr cranks & syncros cockpit (the seller apparently knew pipin from syncros way back when). i loved kleins back in my xc racing days, but never could afford one as a starving student. i couldn't pass this up. amazing that fluoro paint could maintain its intensity after all these years. the bike is surprisingly light as well. could make a rocking ss'er.

0 rise 150mm sytem, cut down shotgun (o sweep) bar & steerhorns. my setup was nearly identical to this 15 years ago. i spend most of my time on a dh bike these days; this setup is soooo sketchy in comparison. super twitchy / low leverage. amazing that we rode the trails we did with setups like this. might have to entertain taking it out on the trails for a nostalgic rip prior to urbanizing the thing.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Best looking Klein (and build) I've seen in a bit.

If I was you, I'd leave it just the way it is.

If it had a mismash of parts and non-original spec stuff, I'd say SS it....but the fact that all the original bits are still in place is pretty cool.

I think the vast majority of the VRC'ers here can identify with your story.
I got into vintage the same way...couldn't afford it then, always wanted one, now I can afford it, now I have one...er....several.

I spend most of my time on a modern fully as well, but let me tell you....the challenge of riding a vintage bike on your (more familiar or more tame) trails can be a lot of fun.
Keeps you honest.
Try and keep pace with modern bikes on your old one.
If anything, it'll relearn you how to pick clean lines and negotiate trails. You'll get back on your DH bike and fly.

Enjoy it! :)

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts
very cool xy9ine! I ss'd mine and I'm loving it!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is indeed a 1st gen syncros post.

just picked up a nos hyperlite bar to replace the stubby one on there. apart from that and some tires, i'll leave it as is. just needs a good detailing. the drivetrain is in great working condition, so no reason to mess with it.

oh - does anyone have a line on replacement stickers?

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
xy9ine said:
oh - does anyone have a line on replacement stickers?
Try asking on the Trek (and related companies) board, there are some serious Klien fans over there (or used to be, I haven't read that board in a while).

·
He be a moose too.
2,165 Posts
It seems serious Klein fans hang out here more than the trek board, I check the trek group now and then and by that time, the thread is usually stale. That said, there was someone posting on the trek group regarding rascal stickers. Here's the link:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=268367&highlight=rascal

He might have something for you, might not. Klein and Attitude decals are easy to come by on ebay, but I can't recall seeing a rascal one. I suspect that the Rascal logo used a stock font and not a one-off font. A well-equipped place that makes decals might be able to help you. Hey Mr. Orange, you know about the fonts used?

Pinguwin

·
Registered
47 Posts
Steerhorns...mmmm

Those Syncros bar ends are pretty much my alltime favorite (except for the internal expander bolts part). I never understood why other bar end manufacturers didn't understand that it was much more comfortable if the bar ends extended behind the bar a little so your hands could be more in line with the bar axis. Mine lasted until last year when I actually rubbed through the aluminum in one place and the bar end folded over.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
I realize this is the Vintage board, but I'm using the Cane Creek Ergo ends on my XC FS bike and love them. The only downside is the $$$.

·
He be a moose too.
2,165 Posts
balcs said:
I never understood why other bar end manufacturers didn't understand
My suspicions are that to make a comfortable bar end with that sticks behind the bar isn't as simple and requires more machining and welding. With the standard bar end, you weld a circular part & bolt on and you're done. Not unlike making a stem, which everyone already makes. It doesn't require anything really new.

I talked with Syncros and said, "I don't understand why you stopped making them, you made the best bar end ever." They replied, "We know that they were the best but we had to charge $75 and others were coming out with $15 bar ends. They weren't as good as ours but most people didn't know that. We simply couldn't compete." I guess with a 3-4x multiplier, that is a problem.

I did meet someone who designed bikes for Pacific Bicycle (while on the John Muir Kettle Moraine Trail for you mid-westerners). He said that with current manufacturing techniques they could get the price down to only a few dollars more than other designs but in the corporate bike world, it's still a few dollars more.

Craigh, nothing wrong with mentioning something that isn't older than many people's kids. You mention the downside to the Cane Creeks is cost. I see they run about $40-43. The Steerhorns were 75% more, in 199x dollars no less. Still, Steerhorns are the best I've ever tried.

Pingu Win

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Ya, but the CC bar ends are sort of consumable, they do wear out like grips do. I haven't had to replace mine yet, but they do look well used.

I'm a ODI lock jaw fan too, since I've had lots of grips slip on me over the years. (That happens when you ride in as much wet weather as we do up here.)

·
I picked two too many
766 Posts
paint

pinguwin said:
It seems serious Klein fans hang out here more than the trek board, I check the trek group now and then and by that time, the thread is usually stale. That said, there was someone posting on the trek group regarding rascal stickers. Here's the link:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=268367&highlight=rascal

He might have something for you, might not. Klein and Attitude decals are easy to come by on ebay, but I can't recall seeing a rascal one. I suspect that the Rascal logo used a stock font and not a one-off font. A well-equipped place that makes decals might be able to help you. Hey Mr. Orange, you know about the fonts used?

Pinguwin
91 (not script) was a thin water applied decal that didn't last too long. Dunno what font, but letters were in blocks. See first pic.

92 Rascal logos had the script logo. You can get a decal that is white vinyl (like the Attitude decals on eBay) Use the block letter style Klein logo and it will be close. Actual ones were paint (as seen in pic 2)

Sorry, script Rascal logo is not based on a font I can find. Dunno on the one in blocks either . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pinguwin said:
Pinguwin
if i can find a good picture or scan, i'll make some up myself. it does look a bit naked like that. the left 'klein' decal is still there, so i'll just need the block letter rascal. and yeah, those are some weak decals. i easily scratched the remainder of the trashed ones off with a fingernail.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
MrOrange said:
91 (not script) was a thin water applied decal that didn't last too long. Dunno what font, but letters were in blocks. See first pic.

92 Rascal logos had the script logo. You can get a decal that is white vinyl (like the Attitude decals on eBay) Use the block letter style Klein logo and it will be close. Actual ones were paint (as seen in pic 2)

Sorry, script Rascal logo is not based on a font I can find. Dunno on the one in blocks either . . .
Road slicks on Kleins. Big surprise.

;) :p

1 - 20 of 43 Posts