Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Radiation in Chatsworth???

6K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  DHidiot 
#1 ·
Anyone know much about it? I know there have been at least 9 "incidents" at SSFL and that they are still taking samples and doing testing and such. The Chatsworth North Park (i think thats the name) has been closed for at least a year now due to "clean up" and was supposed to be open back in April. I have been riding around stagecoach and just discovered the trails at Woosley Canyon and would imagine if there is still any danger in the area, that would be the place to stay away from. But does anyone know how much radiation it would take to effect someone? Thanks.

#7 ·
RYAN E said:
Chatsworth park is closed because they found lead in the ground from clay pigeon debris. It was a skeet shooting range back in the day
also rockedyn had a lot of leaks of rocket fuel everywhere...when I was a kid they tested those rockets 1 and 2 times a week sometimes every day it seemed

#8 ·
The entire campus of the SSFL/Rocketdyne facility is registered as a contaminated site and there are numerous locations publicly recorded as former dump sites for chemicals and waste related both to the rocketry (that's where Saturn V engines were tested, etc..) and atomics (that's where reactors for submarines were produced) and which have never been cleaned up. Although the area is full of great old trails, this is maybe a place where you don't want to breathe too much dust, that is up on top of the mesa there.

As for Stagecoach and etc... that's not part of the park closure, is it?

#9 ·
62kona said:
Anyone know much about it? I know there have been at least 9 "incidents" at SSFL and that they are still taking samples and doing testing and such. The Chatsworth North Park (i think thats the name) has been closed for at least a year now due to "clean up" and was supposed to be open back in April. I have been riding around stagecoach and just discovered the trails at Woosley Canyon and would imagine if there is still any danger in the area, that would be the place to stay away from. But does anyone know how much radiation it would take to effect someone? Thanks.
Most of the bad juice is pretty deep under the soil but some of it does come up after a good rain. As for Woosley, I looked at some property up there a few years ago near the top close to the facility, 36 acres for 75K, not bad until you consider who ever buys the land has to clean it before doing any construction.

There are plans in the works to open up the land around Rocketdyne to the public but the big problem, no one wants the hassle of cleaning it up. Boeing is doing a bit of it now but they really want to sell so it is a slow process. They really screwed them self's on that purchase, Hughes said they had to take the property when Boeing bought the space and communication business from them and then they sold Rocketdyne to PratWhitney but PW said only if the Facility was NOT included in the deal so now Boeing is stuck with it.

I ride Sage Ranch at least once a week and since the rains they have absorbent material all over the South side of the trail as a lot of the nasty stuff gets moved to the surface and that part of the trail is ABOVE the facility, even if only by 20 or 30 feet. Will have to use a respirator once it gets dusty again:thumbsup: Also, may not a good idea to drink from the "drinking hole" (back in the day they watered the horses there) in the canyon below the facility on the Simi side as well.:D

#13 ·
You can also get to the Boeng property edge by riding up albertson motor highway. Lots of cool bunkers, buildings up there to look at, just don't drink from any streams :thumbsup:

I'm not sure I trust Simi Valley tap water in general. I'm sure they test it and all that, but i've had 2 dogs die from cancer/tumors. Total unscientific theory, take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Here's a site with tons of links for your armchair science pleasure:
http://www.cleanuprocketdyne.org/ A lot of it is sort of paranoid sounding, but it makes you wonder sometimes, lol

#19 ·
kona, thanks for posting the ACME link! Is it located over by the fire station?

Some of the photos on that site are stellar and so rare! The resevoir with water in it and the Oat Mt. Nike launch facility shots are exceptional. When the CCC had Oat Mtn. those "silos" weren't functional in terms of the elevators, but we used them for storage. I understand the (now SWAT) center finally burned down in the last fires.

I spent a high proportion of my "yoot" in the Horse Trails and around some caves very close to the SSFL. The deal was: LAPD could buzz ya with the chopper but we were in Ventura County Sheriff jurisidiction... Moto and party heaven, so long as you don't get shot at by "ranchers".

#21 ·
bullit44777 said:
Yikes! And I thought it was so cool the day I rode from Chesebro down through Runkle wow...
[/IMG]
How far is Chesboro from SSFL site?

Im actually so f'en pissed that none of the schools i went to mentioned about this incident in the history classes but they mentioned about the 3mile incident:madman: :madmax:
I have lived in Granada Hills my whole life and this is my first time hearing about this... I almost when to Chaminade high School which is very close to SSFL.. Im glad i didnt pass the entrance exam :thumbsup: The hell with that area, Santa Clarita is looking like a better place to ride. And i even promised to myself that i want to ride more often in Simi Valley.

#22 ·
Yes its right next to the fire station. Its a very interesting place. The founder of the museum took all those more recent pictures. And there are a lot more in the museum, and there are at least 30,000 more pictures on his computer.
EBasil said:
kona, thanks for posting the ACME link! Is it located over by the fire station?

Some of the photos on that site are stellar and so rare! The resevoir with water in it and the Oat Mt. Nike launch facility shots are exceptional. When the CCC had Oat Mtn. those "silos" weren't functional in terms of the elevators, but we used them for storage. I understand the (now SWAT) center finally burned down in the last fires.

I spent a high proportion of my "yoot" in the Horse Trails and around some caves very close to the SSFL. The deal was: LAPD could buzz ya with the chopper but we were in Ventura County Sheriff jurisidiction... Moto and party heaven, so long as you don't get shot at by "ranchers".

#25 ·
EBasil, I used to ride it regularly on a 4 inch travel XC bike in lycra, but that how I roll! ;)And I regularly rode it all but the one biggest waterfall, and even that I rode a couple of times. There are other ways to exit other than Chatsworth park, but the normal way to ride does exit there. When you hit the paved section, go further south and you can exit south of Chatsworth park.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.