Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I would like to know which one of these methods of lacing would be the strongest for loaded touring; radial lacing or 4cross ? Would radial lacing put too much strain on the hubshell ? It would be for a 48 spoke front wheel.

Thank you !
Jean-Sebastien

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks,
I should've thought of his website, but now I think I'll build it either 4 or 5 cross.

Cheers !
Jean-Sebastien

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
4 cross is plenty strong. 5 cross will be stronger, and about a total of a spoke length heavier. At least, when I was going to do 1x wheel some time ago for my GF's bike, the shop only had spokes in length to give me 2x. We calculated the total length difference and it came out to be a hair under a a length of a single spoke, or it's weight.

_MK

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should not make a great difference, as I estimated the weight of "each" wheel to the weight of a light XC wheelset. I'm going to use 48 spokes, probably DT Alpine III. Should be around 1400g for the front and 1550g for the rear. Ouch !

I'm still not sure of whether going with 4 or 5x, but radial is out of the question. Probably I'll go with what length is available, like you did.

Thanks for the input,
Cheers !
Jean-Sebastien :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
no I already know that radial lacing is for rim brakes only. But I think it might be a little too much for the hub flange especially with 48 holes (!) and lots of gear loaded on racks. I've never heard anybody sharing experience touring with radial lacing. Harsher ride too ? That's not good for the long haul.

Jean-Sebastien

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jean-seb said:
Hi,
no I already know that radial lacing is for rim brakes only. But I think it might be a little too much for the hub flange especially with 48 holes (!) and lots of gear loaded on racks. I've never heard anybody sharing experience touring with radial lacing. Harsher ride too ? That's not good for the long haul.

Jean-Sebastien
I doubt you would notice a difference in harshness (largely a myth). You would be taking a big risk in breaking the spoke flange with radial.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Do you really need 48 spokes? I've toured a lot on 36 spoke MTB wheels, including a trip where at one stage I was carrying 30 litres of water and 2 weeks of food. Spokes were DT 14-15-14 and 3 cross I think (maybe 4) on Sun Rhyno rims (not Rhyno Lites).

Don't use those wheels often, but my normal touring wheels are 36 spoke 3 cross and I've only broken a couple of spokes in the 20 years of touring, commuting and general riding.

People used 48 spokes on touring tandems with 27" or 700C wheels, but a 26" mtb rim needs shorter spokes so I think that 36 spokes would be like a 40 spoke 700C wheel.

Never used radial and couldn't use 4 cross on some hubs if the flange is too small.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Do I really need 48 spokes ? well...

I actually had two options. First, I have lots of 32 hole hubs walking around in my parts box, so I was undecided either to use those 32h hubs to build possibly failing wheels or second, buy new rims and new hubs with matching 36 holes. That would have been a big expense, in my opinion, for only 4 spokes more.

So instead I found those rims that have 48 holes and figured out what hubs to use, found a deal on a rear hub and voila ! This was more worth the upgrade and the spent bucks.

Maybe it IS a little overbuilt, but I recall reading an article about a couple riding around the globe, and they were using thick innertubes inside slick tires, themselves covered by larger, knobbier tires. That's puncture protection ! And that's peace of mind. ;)

Good day,
Jean-Sebastien

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
jean-seb said:
Hey thanks,
I should've thought of his website, but now I think I'll build it either 4 or 5 cross.

Cheers !
Jean-Sebastien
Actually, 3-X would be fine, too. My ex and I toured on a road tandem with 40 spoke, 3x wheels and had no problems once we got rid of the alloy nipples it came with. Bought it 2nd hand - I have no idea what the original owner was thinking when he built it with alloy nips. We used to pop their little heads off in pairs. The wheels were trouble-free once I rebuilt them with brass nipples. We and the bike together were over 330lbs, plus whatever gear we carried. The rear wheel had a rim brake and a drum brake.

Kathy :^)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lucky said:
Actually, 3-X would be fine, too. My ex and I toured on a road tandem with 40 spoke, 3x wheels and had no problems once we got rid of the alloy nipples it came with. Bought it 2nd hand - I have no idea what the original owner was thinking when he built it with alloy nips. We used to pop their little heads off in pairs. The wheels were trouble-free once I rebuilt them with brass nipples. We and the bike together were over 330lbs, plus whatever gear we carried. The rear wheel had a rim brake and a drum brake.

Kathy :^)
It would be good too yes, but by doing some rough calculations with DT spoke calculator, I should be able to use some DT alpine III spokes in sizes I already have in my parts bin ! Should be vaguely 260-262mm. This is if I go with cross4.

Thanks for sharing your experience !
Jean-Sebastien :)

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
overkill

I'm with Slaw. That wheel would be totally overkill. Take your 32 spoke hub, have an experienced wheel builder build it up with some straight guage DT spokes, brass nipples and a strong rim like a Rhyno Lite or whatever Mavic's DH rim is called these days and hit the road. Simple, saves money, easier to find spare parts.

That is, unless you're a 400 pound bigfoot and you're going to carry the 500 pound elk you hunted and killed around on your front rack, then you might need 48 spokes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FishMan473 said:
I'm with Slaw. That wheel would be totally overkill. Take your 32 spoke hub, have an experienced wheel builder build it up with some straight guage DT spokes, brass nipples and a strong rim like a Rhyno Lite or whatever Mavic's DH rim is called these days and hit the road. Simple, saves money, easier to find spare parts.

That is, unless you're a 400 pound bigfoot and you're going to carry the 500 pound elk you hunted and killed around on your front rack, then you might need 48 spokes.
Spare parts, I don't think I would need any with "overbuilt" wheels ;) .

By the way, I've been building wheels for years so no problem. I've never been touring though, and was asking the radial lacing question only.

Thanks and good day,
Jean-Sebastien

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.