Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
mtb'er
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man! I was fixin' on putting together a classic Empty_Beer TR™... but then I remembered that you can't link nice, large and robust HTML photos on MTBR anymore :mad:. Plus all my old, classic TR's are worthless since all the images got snuffed :madman:. I guess that's why the weekly "Weekend Ride Report" is quasi-popular? Is there a better MTB forum/community to share the stoke with, using photos larger than 3.5"x5"?

Rad:
IMG_6403_QVga.JPG ...not.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Yep

... but then I remembered that you can't link nice, large and robust HTML photos on MTBR anymore :mad:. Plus all my old, classic TR's are worthless since all the images got snuffed :madman:. I guess that's why the weekly "Weekend Ride Report" is quasi-popular? Is there a better MTB forum/community to share the stoke with, using photos larger than 3.5"x5"?
Yep! We pay for lack of IT skills and/or too cheap to hire some. You could link to your photos elsewhere, but many probably wouldn't follow the link.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Sucks that every post that ever linked a Facebook photo stopped working, all they have to is allow that again and all those old tr's will come back to life. Still will not help with the crappy small size limit though.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
^ you mean this TR doesn't still inspire you to explore Grouse Ridge??
Yep it blows, I've referred back to a couple old TR's recently for beta and they are almost useless now. They take work to create so it's not very inspiring to create new ones if there only going be crap in the future, MTBR has lost a valuable resource of historical data cause they cannot link photo's from certain sites any more. And linking from other places or uploading to MTBR many are so small they really lose something.

This is a rad shot that will not show up here but works on any other forum, MTBR inserts a couple of blanks (%20) .jp%20%20g that breaks the link. this used to work up until March or so of this year.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,839 Posts
I'll check on this with our IT folks. What happened is we shut down html embeds because jackholes were using it to:

- Spam the website. Damn, that is a problem these days.

- Redirect a page or stick a virus in your machine. This is crazy but I saw it. Basically, html code means folks can cut an paste javascript that will do 'stuff' as soon as you load a page. So we disabled html. I just didn't realize it will affect all the old posts too.

We'll find a solution. Meanwhile, use the upload on this forum (in Go Advanced). You can upload a bunch of photos at a time and you can embed them in text as well. And folks can click on the photos to make them hella big.

fc

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
My TR's still work:
I think it mostly effected doing links to facebook pics, since it's easy to upload and link to, it was a fast way to do it and worked fine until recently. Uploading to MTBR takes to much time and is cumbersome. Yes you can link to other sites like Picassa but the old threads are dead now photowise which is a bummer.

·
mtb'er
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks FC. I do appreciate the protection from viruses. Hopefully linking large pix and and old html links get restored.

Jib - that Flicker album is my one and only Flicker album (SBTS needed it in that format). I used to use Photobucket, but discovered that Facebook was way faster to use (I create an album only viewable to me and html-link pix from there). And those TR's you posted have the small pix. In old TR's, html linked pix would be as wide as the screen... just a bit nicer to read/see when people could do it that way.

Example of what is a cool TR, but pix are small and to "enjoy" it, you need to click a ton of times... and clicking the image to make it bigger takes you away from the caption that goes with the photo: http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/south-west-usa-spring-road-trip-last-rides-966555.html

TBC is correct... uploading a story told with photos is too cumbersome now, and the end result is too cumbersome to enjoy properly. #firstworldproblems ;)

·
Registered
751 Posts
dang, I was looking forward to vicariously going on an EB adventure! hope the picture situation gets resolved. I appreciate the content you guys create when you take the time to stop and take photos mid-ride, and then do the work to put them together into a story for the rest of us.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,839 Posts
Thanks FC. I do appreciate the protection from viruses. Hopefully linking large pix and and old html links get restored.

Jib - that Flicker album is my one and only Flicker album (SBTS needed it in that format). I used to use Photobucket, but discovered that Facebook was way faster to use (I create an album only viewable to me and html-link pix from there). And those TR's you posted have the small pix. In old TR's, html linked pix would be as wide as the screen... just a bit nicer to read/see when people could do it that way.

Example of what is a cool TR, but pix are small and to "enjoy" it, you need to click a ton of times... and clicking the image to make it bigger takes you away from the caption that goes with the photo: http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/south-west-usa-spring-road-trip-last-rides-966555.html

TBC is correct... uploading a story told with photos is too cumbersome now, and the end result is too cumbersome to enjoy properly. #firstworldproblems ;)
Upon further review, for your old posts, the problem is NOT us.

Your broken post:
http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/royal-gorge-ous-2-eb-seven-suckers-815066.html

You used proper vbulletin embed code and hosted the photos in Facebook. The problem is Facebook privacy is disallowing the photo to be embedded or you deleted the photo from your facebook. Can you check? Copy that url in a browser and see if the photo displays.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/560948_4256793990971_145277903_n.jpg

Basically, your photos are gone or blocked and mtbr server cannot find them.

Another problem is Facebook disallowed embedding of their photos from other websites. This happened about a year ago.

·
mtb'er
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ Damn Facebook! :prft: It looks like they changed the image URL, so my html links to FB photos are all screwed up. So much for hosting photos there! Thank you for looking into it.

However...

Here's an old TR that still has my pix... which are hosted in Photobucket. http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/royal-gorge-ous-adventure-738166.html

Note that the vertical photos are "normal" size. But the horizontal photos get scaled smaller, instead of using up all the available real estate (about 2.75" on my laptop screen). I'm pretty sure they used to appear larger. Is there any chance wider photos can be restored?

An example of how photos used to look size-wise before the formatting change (as shown on another forum): TR: Little Fat Sahara ... which is far more pleasing to view than the smaller pix we currently have.

Thanks Francois!

·
mtb'er
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does Flickr have unlimited upload/hosting capacity? Or do you only get so much bandwidth before they steer you to a fee-based hosting option?

·
Mtbr Founder
34,839 Posts
Does Flickr have unlimited upload/hosting capacity? Or do you only get so much bandwidth before they steer you to a fee-based hosting option?
Have you tried to upload here. It's hard to do the first time but it's really pretty easy.
steps:
post thread or reply
go advanced
upload images (link near the bottom)
select files (select up to a whole folder of files)
upload files
insert inline (then close upload window)
switch editor to WSYWIG mode to view photos (first button on upper left of text box)
add captions

Example:

This is a bling bike for a vertically challenged adult. Or a rich kid. _DSC1426.jpg

Enve carbon bars! Width is 900 mm
_DSC1437.jpg

This is a forged bb, scalloped for tire clearance and welded on one side only.
IMG_3671.JPG

This is a hydration pack for the village people.
P5060020.jpg

30mm is the new 20.
P5060036.jpg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts