Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a T2 that's about three years old, and I have to drop pressure with my Mukluk to get the front tire (Larry) to fit into the tray(also have to work to press and tuck the tire into the tray) and to get the arm over the front tire (while also compressing the front tire).

After having two of the plastic tire tray bolt mounts break, having one of the ratcheting mechanisms randomly fail, and now dealing with lots of rust, my wife will be buying me a 1up rack with the spacer kit for Christmas :thumbsup::

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a T2 that's about three years old, and I have to drop pressure with my Mukluk to get the front tire (Larry) to fit into the tray(also have to work to press and tuck the tire into the tray) and to get the arm over the front tire (while also compressing the front tire).

After having two of the plastic tire tray bolt mounts break, having one of the ratcheting mechanisms randomly fail, and now dealing with lots of rust, my wife will be buying me a 1up rack with the spacer kit for Christmas :thumbsup::

[Photo Snipped]
How do things work out with the spacer kit and "normal" bike wheels? I've got a Mukluk 2 on order and a 1up USA rack, and I'm intending to buy the spacer kit from them to retrofit my rack.

·
ent
85 Posts

I really want a 1up rack. Those look really really solid.

Is that your OB? Nice scoob from a fellow owner :thumbsup:

no links or images?! Harsh. :shocked:

·
Registered
91 Posts
How do things work out with the spacer kit and "normal" bike wheels? I've got a Mukluk 2 on order and a 1up USA rack, and I'm intending to buy the spacer kit from them to retrofit my rack.
Don't know about that, but worst case you'd probably just have to take the spacer kit out for those occasions.

I really want a 1up rack. Those look really really solid.

Is that your OB? Nice scoob from a fellow owner :thumbsup:

no links or images?! Harsh. :shocked:
Not my Scoob. That photo was from someone at 1up USA when I asked if they were making a fatbike rack that I saw on some blogs this summer.

I have a Mazda3 hatch, and the 1up rack should solve most of the issues I have with the T2.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't know about that, but worst case you'd probably just have to take the spacer kit out for those occasions..
As long as you're only carrying fat bikes and normal mountain bikes, it shouldn't be an issue, I would think. The problem would be if you want to carry something with much narrower tires like a cross bike or a road bike. I'm thinking, though, that you can leave out the spacer kit parts for the parts at the end of the arms -- maybe use stacks of appropriately sized washers to keep the v-shape at the end of the arms the normal size instead of widening it with the spacer kit's spacers.

·
Ologist
964 Posts
My 1up USA with spacers should be here in a couple of days and I will let you know. I was under the impression that you might have to remove the fatbike spacers to go back to a smaller mtb?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I have a THULE T2 and can't seem to mount my Mukluk to it!? The front arm that holds the tire in place doesn't seem long enough?? Did you make any modifications Guitar Ted?
You've got an older one, I'm betting. The 2011 versions have been modified.

You could probably just get the arms to upgrade your older T-2

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a THULE T2 and can't seem to mount my Mukluk to it!? The front arm that holds the tire in place doesn't seem long enough?? Did you make any modifications Guitar Ted?
He has one of the newer T2's with longer arms

Make sure your air pressure is well under 10 psi, stuff the front wheel into the tray (you have to work each side of a larry so the tire is fully seated into the tray), and then pull the arm over and compress the tire slightly as approaches 45 degrees, and then it should hopefully have a click or two left once it's close to the fork to lock into place. You'll have to find some sort of strap for the rear tire.

I had a pretty stock Mukluk and a Pugsley with BFL's on Large Marge's on my older T2 this weekend. The front BFL had to be dropped to really low psi to get the arm over the tire.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You've got an older one, I'm betting. The 2011 versions have been modified.

You could probably just get the arms to upgrade your older T-2
Here's the link for replacement parts- ThuleT2 spare parts

Don't know if you just need the Locking Ratchet Arm Assembly(D) or maybe just the Hook (AA) or both.

It might not even be a bad idea to buy a new wheel tray and maybe try to open it up a little more with a heat gun so the wheel would sit in there a littlle better.

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
I found out today that my Yakima Frontloader was recalled last year (bike could fly off the roof) & they will send a brand new one after I return some critical part that must disable the old one or prove you actually still have it.

In case anyone else didn't fill out that pesky warranty card and find out about a recall, here are the other recalls listed at Yakima Racks & Carriers › Recalls
FrontLoader
FlipSide
Quickback
2005 Mighty Joe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.