Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting into bikpacking. I have everything I need so far except for a means of carrying cargo in the rear. I have decided (for several reasons) that I would benefit by having a rear rack and top bag (no intention of panniers as of yet) as opposed to a saddle bag.
However, my bike (2018 Rocky Mountain Blizzard) has no braze-ons for a rear rack. I really like the design of the Old Man Mountain racks and their axle mounts, with cost ($230) being my only concern (since I am just starting, I am reluctant to spend a whole lot....but will if needed). Is there anybody else that makes a rack for a fat bike that mounts to a through axle (12x197)? I have done a lot of searching and have yet to find any other that meets those two criteria.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have done a lot of searching and have yet to find any other that meets those two criteria.
You could buy a BOB trailer axle from the Robert Axle Project and adapt whatever rack you want to use. Disclaimer: if you have the tools, fabrication skills, and materials to do that, you'll probably save some money over their OMM rack kit; but if your time is worth any money, the OMM rack is cheaper.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lads. It looks like the Bob Trailer axle potentially gives me the option of using the Blackburn Outpost rack...but I can't discern if the width of the Blackburn lower adapters flipped 180º (as Robert Axle Project shows) will work on a fatbike. I'll do some more digging, however, the price of the axle and rack bring me within $30 of the OMM kit, so if I cannot confirm fit, it may be better just to spend the extra and get the OMM. I also prefer the chain stay mounting of the OMM kit.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks lads. It looks like the Bob Trailer axle potentially gives me the option of using the Blackburn Outpost rack...but I can't discern if the width of the Blackburn lower adapters flipped 180º (as Robert Axle Project shows) will work on a fatbike. I'll do some more digging, however, the price of the axle and rack bring me within $30 of the OMM kit, so if I cannot confirm fit, it may be better just to spend the extra and get the OMM. I also prefer the chain stay mounting of the OMM kit.

Thanks again.
Get the OMM. I have a couple OMM racks and have moved them across different bikes as my stable evolves. Think of it as a rack purchase and not an accessory for your bike. Spend your money once and get what works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get the OMM. I have a couple OMM racks and have moved them across different bikes as my stable evolves. Think of it as a rack purchase and not an accessory for your bike. Spend your money once and get what works.
^^What this guy says^^

Here's my 2016 Blizzard in summer mode...the rack is solid as can be and worth every penny -

The nice part is that OMM is owned by The Robert Axle Project, so you know you are getting the right parts and you know it works. Then, if you do have any issues or questions, you only have one place to call and they are super responsive.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
^^What this guy says^^

Here's my 2016 Blizzard in summer mode...the rack is solid as can be and worth every penny -
Excellent...one mounted to a Blizzard! Whilst I've got your ear, did you have any issue mounting the puck on the non-drive side seat stay with the brake hose and hose mounts being right there?

Also, is your lower frame bag custom?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Excellent...one mounted to a Blizzard! Whilst I've got your ear, did you have any issue mounting the puck on the non-drive side seat stay with the brake hose and hose mounts being right there?
It wasn't too much of an issue, I was able to just push it over to the side a bit. I tried looking to see if I had any pictures that shows it, but I couldn't find one. Unless you have your brake lines cut super short and marginal as it sits, you should be fine.

Also, is your lower frame bag custom?
Yeah, it is a ModPak from JPaks out of Denver. Joe builds them how you want (special pockets or patterns to the specific bike you have) and I got it a few years back when he first started making them. Mine works pretty well for me and I typically don't keep the bottom section installed and run a second water bottle under there.

As far as the OMM rack goes (and it isn't really a complaint about the rack as much as having to use the axle mount set up) is that taking the back wheel off is kind of a PITA. Once you get the process down, it's not hard...it's just a process. Haha

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a little slow with the update, but I received my OMM rack a few weeks ago. I sure like its design and construction. I lucked out with the order too…..they were listed as out of stock for a several months this year with a mention that they were not currently building them. However, they showed as being in stock about a month or so ago. I ordered mine, and within a couple days they were out of stock again. Maybe they only made one? ?
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Land vehicle
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.