Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Home of the Gravedigger
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am only putting on on rack right now. If I'm only installing one rack, should it go on the front or the back. The back allows me to cary larger items like a fishing pole, but the front allows me to reach for something. What does everyone think.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Rear , does not affect steering and acts as a rear fender.

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
jkaber said:
I am only putting on on rack right now. If I'm only installing one rack, should it go on the front or the back. The back allows me to cary larger items like a fishing pole, but the front allows me to reach for something. What does everyone think.
Rear is far better. Front racks hold the weight lower, as to limit impact on steering. As for grabbing stuff while riding, consider a handlebar bag (looks odd on mountain bike), or gas tank bag (cooler look in my opinion).

Epic designs makes some really nice stuff. They guys have really expanded how far I'd consider riding without panniers and racks. Check them out

http://www.epicdesignsalaska.com

·
Registered
520 Posts
jkaber, what is the predominant terrain you ride on and what sort of bike?

Al

·
Home of the Gravedigger
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alanm said:
jkaber, what is the predominant terrain you ride on and what sort of bike?

Al
It will be a Pugsley and will mosty be snow and XC trails. I probably won't have a ton of gear on the rack, just extra clothes, food, fluids, etc.

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
jkaber said:
It will be a Pugsley and will mosty be snow and XC trails. I probably won't have a ton of gear on the rack, just extra clothes, food, fluids, etc.
I ride panniers and rear rack on my commuter (29er MTB). I choose panniers for my lunch, work clothes, and laptop. While moving you notice the weight shifts, and your very wide. I'm constantly clipping my bags on doors.

I still vote for something like this :thumbsup: :

Pug with frame and gas tank bags:

Add the big seat bag for extra room for clothes

Planning on doing an over nighter (tent/sleepingbag/sleepingpad)?

·
Registered
520 Posts
jkaber said:
In that case I'd advise a front rack as it'll keep your weight distrabution more even on unpacked serfaces, make sure it's a low mount one, if the surfaces are hard packed weight on the rear wheel doesn't matter so much. I use the front rack for all loads that can fit in the panniers when I'm not towing the trailer. Just my 2c worth. Experiment eith a set of scales :thumbsup: :D

Al

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
if you arnt carrying heavy loads then maybe consider going for a set of cheap lightwieght rear mtb racks front and back,rack hieght is 13" from mounting eye to top

i run these primary as mudgaurds but can put the tent on the back,sleepingbag and 3/4 thermarest up front then food,stove etc.. in the frame bag,theses racks arnt strong but wieght next to nothing, they were £15 each too here in the UK https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=7653&f_SupersetQRY=C166&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003185c003187
there will be something simular in the US,
if you look through my blog you will find a post on fitting them with the offset and using better rear adjustable mounts :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts