Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 19 yr old T100 finally gave up the ghost on our way to Anchorage and we had to quickly buy a replacement car. We got a new Prius C and drove home to Homer. Now we have to figure out a way to carry our bikes when needed, which isn't that often as we usually ride to where we want to go.

I couldn't find a thread for this car so I'm wondering how Prius C owners are transporting their bikes: Roof rack, Trunk rack, hitch mount?

Thanks for your help!

Pat

·
Registered
588 Posts
My wife has a C. I was going to put a 1.25" class I hitch receiver on it to use my 9 year old Swagman XC2 rack. I ended up putting a hitch receiver on my CT200h instead because I found a good deal on a used hitch receiver (open box/customer-return) for the CT.

BTW, hitches on both these hybrids are frowned upon by the dealers.

Trailer Hitch for 2012 Toyota Prius c | etrailer.com

I think I spent about $100 for my CT hitch (used), while a new Class I Prius-C hitch will be around $140.

My Swagman XC 2 is a Class I hitch rack, and I think a Thule T2 is also Class I. You'll need to check the specs of your rack (or the rack you intend to buy) because a Class II rack won't fit in a Class I receiver (shank hole won't line up w/ receiver hole to install the pin).

·
May The Force Be With You
2,425 Posts
seasucker!! lots of glass on them green machines

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yeah, the Toyota US manual also states not to tow with a Yaris either (although, you can in Canada... Toyota even offers a factory hitch receiver up north).

The Prius C is supposed to be based off of the Yaris platform, so...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, the Toyota US manual also states not to tow with a Yaris either (although, you can in Canada... Toyota even offers a factory hitch receiver up north).

The Prius C is supposed to be based off of the Yaris platform, so...

I'm not worried about the chassis of the vehicle. Basic physics and engineering will tell you any car can tow a small garden trailer no problem. It's the electric drivetrain i'm worried about, in particular the Power Split Device(PSD) transmission unit which houses the planetary gears and electric motors. They are so heavily dependent using electrical current to control power split ratios, i'm not sure how it would react to increased forces pushing and pulling on the unit.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again!

Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty set on the hitch mount and don't plan on towing anything...ever! I have an '86 Toyota p/u I can use if needed altho it's currently a dog house for my 15 yr old sled dog.
I'm in no hurry as we just don't haul our bikes anywhere very often, so I'll keep my eyes open for an even better deal over the good deals I'm already seeing for these mounts.

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts