Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 94 Accord and I'm evaluating the various types of racks on the market to determine what to get. I also have a '01 Honda Odyssey (4 kids).

Initially, I was thinking of getting a hitch rack, something that could carry (4) bikes, since I could use that on both vehicles, although I'd have to put hitches on both, since neither has one. When I go alone, I'd take the car, so I'd only be carrying one bike. With that type of rack, I'm a little concerned about the view out the rear being obstructed, and the weight placed so far back on a small car.... does anyone use a hitch rack on a small car like this?

I know roof racks are very popular on this type of car, and I like those, but don't want to invest that much $$$ in something for the car, when I'll still need to buy a rack for the van. I guess that leaves me with the other idea I have, which is to pick up an trunk rack, (Saris Bones), off E-bay, for when I go by myself with the car, and invest in a hitch rack for the van.... any comments or opinions? I would like to know if anyone has any experience with a hitch rack on a car.

Thanks

·
cool dude
62 Posts
im not really too familiar with the different type of hitch racks out currently but i know this. my dad has a '94 Aerostar with the smaller style Class II hitch and we have a 4 bike rack for it and 4 bikes on that size hitch isnt fun. The rack leans a lot in turns and it does the job but its just scary to watch. I wouldnt want to use a reciever hitch rack with less than a Class III hitch and you can't get a Class III for an Accord. i would get a trunk mount that can work on both cars. as far as rearward visibility, you still have 2 more mirrors. ever drive a cargo van?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.