Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just started a lease on 5 series bmw that i'm gonna lease for 3 years ... i would like to get a rack that will hold two bikes ...

i never had a rack before, ( in my old car - full size domestic sedan - i could just put the bike into the trunk and partially close it ) so i don't know if i wan't a roof rack or one that goes in the back. in either case it seems Thule doesn't make roof racks for my model ? and for the rack that goes in the back i would need to install some special equipment for it to fit ?

if anybody is using current generation 5 series and has a rack on it that works well i would just order the same one online ... otherwise do you think i should simply go to a bicycle store and have them pick one out for me ? ( i like in new york, there's plenty of stores here )

i am also worried what will happen at the end of my lease ? will i be able to use the rack with another car ?

thanks in advance for any help !

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,518 Posts
Xcelrr8 said:
This is one that you can buy directly through your BMW dealer. It's made to use specific anchor points on your X5
Where did he say he had an X5?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, they have them made by some company (don't know which one) and then slap a BMW logo it. I know they make them for the SUV's. You'll have to call and see if they make them for the sedans.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thule makes the BMW factory rack. I cannot speak for the 5er's, but I have an 07 335xi
with the fitpoints in the roof. I went with Thule instead of the BMW parts as I wanted to continue using square bars and all my existing boxes, bike racks, kayak carriers etc.

Nothing touches the paint, it is very clean.

jummo

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok but how hard are these racks to use ? i mean i can't imagine somehow holding the bike overhead with one hand and then with another locking something at a height that i can't even reach ?

i just don't *see* it ... does it work ?

as i said previously i would just toss a bike in the trunk of a Chrysler LHS and be done with it lol

thing is my parents still have that LHS so i am afraid if i get the rack instead of using it i will simply borrow my parents' car ?

·
Premium Member
7,964 Posts
Just yesterday I saw a 530i (e60 like yours) with a small hitch and rear mounted Thule hitch rack. I don't know where the hitch is from, but they are out there and it came right out from under the rear valance, so no cutting needed.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i don't want the lift because

1 - i don't want to feel like i'm disabled or something lol

2 - you still have to put the lift itself on the roof don't you ? lol ... i'd rather use the step stool ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm 5'5", have the 3 series and Thule system - I just open the door and stand on the "runner". It's actually pretty simple but just make sure you don't snag the bike on the open door when lifting. Also, don't leave any bikes leaning against your car when stepping up as the car will rock, bike will fall and you will have a nice scratch/dent to remind you of the mishap - like me.:madman:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.