Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
Beers. Bikes. Battlestar Galactica.
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How does this happen? Shock was serviced and tuned by TF Tuned in April and was all good up until I took it off for an air can service the other day and noticed this (hard to see when it's on the bike due to the way the frame wraps around the shock). I've only ever used stock RS seals up to now and not seen anything like this.

I run ~290 psi. Anything to do with the high pressure? The retaining spring was still intact with no visible pinching or stretching. No marks or scratches anywhere to indicate something got lodged in there. I don't want to replace the seals like for like if it's going to happen again.

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn. I like to think I keep on top of cleaning/maintenance. Not perfect but it's always been enough in the past, and certainly never had a seal fail as quickly as this.

Set of RS freshies on the way. These will be going in the bin (n)

· Registered
12,552 Posts
ive installed quite a few rb kits and have yet to have one come back leaking, fork or shock or any problems for that matter
That's interesting. Because all of the RB seals that come to us are leaking. Their fork kits they've simply taken friction reduction too far at the expense of sealing. Their rear shock seal designs are fundamentally flawed. All shocks need a bushing to keep the air-can in alignment and keep seals from venting if they squish sideways. The RB kits don't have a bushing setup, they are loading the seals instead and seals are squishy.

· Registered
350 Posts
That's interesting. Because all of the RB seals that come to us are leaking. Their fork kits they've simply taken friction reduction too far at the expense of sealing. Their rear shock seal designs are fundamentally flawed. All shocks need a bushing to keep the air-can in alignment and keep seals from venting if they squish sideways. The RB kits don't have a bushing setup, they are loading the seals instead and seals are squishy.
By bushing do u mean the plastic back up ring on the quad ring by the dust wiper?

· Registered
12,552 Posts
By bushing do u mean the plastic back up ring on the quad ring by the dust wiper?
Yes. The tolerances on those are critical to sealing. Both Fox and I had to tighten them up a lot when trunnion shocks became a thing. Because the extra side-loading meant more seals were getting burped.

· Registered
350 Posts
Interesting all my racing bros air can kits have all the same seals and back up rings like oem. The fox air sleeves have a t seal style seal by the dust wiper, which is easier to install and yet to see a problem with them....

Maybe there is different kits you can order...i know where i get them from they are made to order so maybe it's to there spec?

I know they have different wipers for forks with different materials. I have seen some severly neglected forks way way way past there service interval with racing Bros and no leaks

· Registered
12,552 Posts
Interesting all my racing bros air can kits have all the same seals and back up rings like oem. The fox air sleeves have a t seal style seal by the dust wiper, which is easier to install and yet to see a problem with them....
That's where the problem occurs. Negative seal by the wiper.

· Registered
12,552 Posts
Only the fox has the t seal, where the rock shox kits are all like oem
That wiper on the RS kits is just a wiper and won't sustain any internal pressure that gets past the negative seal. This one looks like it tried to hold back internal pressure and the pressure won!

· Registered
416 Posts
I agree with Dougal, the RB air can seals just don’t work. The lack of support means they always leak and like all their seals, the rubber they use hardens and goes brown very quickly. A friend nearly destroyed his fork in a matter of 100h on RB wipers which had let a lot of dirt through that had already started to mar the glide bushes.

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Replaced the seals today with the standard RS kit. The RB ones do look exactly the same apart from the wiper seal, which was a T-shape with a retaining spring (hard to tell from the picture). Also picked up some Interflon Fin Super to try out. See if I can’t take better care of the seals between services.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.