Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im interested in getting into racing like the kind Ive seen in videos like earthed..

very fast and basicly like racing a dirtbike, but its a bicycle instead :D

waht kind of bikes do they use for that? like what category? freestyle? downhill? all mountain?

are there any clubs in the toronto area for this type of racing?

·
suck it trebeK
418 Posts
I'm not sure what 'earthed' is, but there are some good series' near Toronto, like the Ontario Cup, also Hardwood Hills and Albion Hills have good series'. Dagmar did too, but I think it closed last year.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont own a toyota or a kawasaki :)

I know I know baby steps, but Im curious and was hoping I could be helped out.

I think its called cyclocross?

Earthed is a mountain biking video

·
Registered
776 Posts
Cyclocross uses bikes kinda like a road bike with drop handlebars, they go fasternhell for about 45 minutes to an hour over a course that includes pavement, grass, mud and spots so bad they've got to get off and run.

Downhill is just that. Crazy bikes and guys in plastic armor going lunatic speed down the side of a mountain.

Cross country is the more usual thing, small tight trails all natural terrain riding up and down hills.

Ron

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm niether of those describe what I saw in thsoe videos..

they race like 4 guys at a time on a man made course, almost like a motocross course... huge air off jumps and tight banked turns. etc.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sounds like you are referring to mountain cross (MX) aka 4-Cross (4X). This is like motocross but on mountain bikes.

The courses are similar to BMX courses, but are built into a mountain so that the course goes downhill. It includes bermed turns, whoops (little mounds of earth that you can roll over or jump over), jumps (really big mounds of earth that you can roll over or jump over), etc.

Four racers line up in a gate. The gate drops, the racers see who can make it to the bottom first. Everyone is vying for the best line possible, so the strategy is in charging ahead, using your elbows to broaden your "space", cutting your opponents off so you can make it to a turn before they do, etc...

Bikes used are referred to as slalom bikes (from dual slalom). They have a low center of gravity, and are good for sprinting and cornering.

Amateurs like me go to races and do this event on downhill bikes. It's a lot of fun. 4X is only offered at select National NORBA races and a few other places. To practice at a BMX track (the next best thing) you are usually required to have a full-face helmet, long sleeves or elbow guards, and long pants or knee/shin guards. Take any bike you want. Anyone can go practice the course at a local BMX track, you just have to pay the practice fee (like $5) and maybe sign up for an annual membership at the track.

Go check it out. Hope this helps.

-sunny :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.