Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't have a SS but I've ridden them and really like it. I currently ride mostly trials (not trails). I'm 33 and would like to race SS in a few years just to keep myself in shape and have fun. Where to start?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I mean like when I am ready to race or ride with other people, where is a good place to start? What organizations exist? When are races held? I'm just looking for a SS fun ride and can't even find that. I live in Maryland.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try checking out the regional forums here to see if anyone is in your area. Or try a local bike shop and see if they have a group ride any day during the week.

Racing isn't that big of a deal. Start in Category 3 as a beginner and just go out there and have fun.

If you live in Maryland you should check out the Mid Atlantic Super Series to do races. Races are held on Saturday or Sunday. You can sign up for all races in your area or areas you would want to travel to via bikereg.com

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Google the single speed outlaw blog. They are based in Frederick I believe. Maryland definitely has plenty of people riding ss and plenty of great trails regardless of the type of bike.

·
Registered
524 Posts
www.bikereg.com <-where the races are. register for one near you, go there and ride your bike fast with other people, smile a lot and drink beers after.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Why wait a few years? Racing generally has categories such as beginner, novice, expert, so you can race against people at your level. It's also perfectly okay to race a single speed against geared riders if there isn't a single speed category. Personally, I find that I am much faster on a single speed than a geared bike anyway.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah! No need to wait to race. Depending on where in Maryland you live, you could get to some of the Mid Atlantic Super Series (MASS) races. They definitely have beginner categories. I'm sure there are a bunch of other local ones that you can find on Bikereg

·
Registered
748 Posts
+1 on not waiting. Just get out there! I think people wait too long because they want to "be ready" for their first race. This is what beginner classes are all about. Check your ego at the trail head, plan to get thoroughly pounded, and enjoy the fun. Nothing like the adrenaline dump when the starter blows the whistle for the start of your race. I'll be at rest with a 120bpm heart rate waiting for the start.

·
Registered
748 Posts
You don't need an SS specific class either. In the beginner and Sport races, fitness differences between racers are much bigger and you can easily settle mid-pack of your age group if you're a decent rider. Maybe not the first race as racing SS puts more value on your pre-race planning and overall race strategy, but later races for sure. You can't learn those pre-race skills without racing though, so get out there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts