Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Who cares?-----(NO)

Votes: 35 47.9%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really, XC, Road, DH, SD, 4X, DS, anything. Do you race?

I'm just wondering, and feel free to tell us all why you do or don't:p

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Just starting. So far I suck, but I'm having fun. And it gives me incentive to get out and ride, and try to get better/faster.

·
Look out!
862 Posts
I like to race as it improves my bike handling skills. Helps me stay in shape for my day job, and gives me some goals to shoot for. If nothing other than beating the clock. The only drawback that I can see is that I get so focused on the trail I miss the great scenery that I am riding through.

By the way if you haven't voted in the Santa Cruz Hell ride yet, take a peek here:

http://www.santacruzbikes.com/hellridefive/voteforpedro.php?hellrider=1&userid=0288

Your support would be appreciated. Thank you and have a great ride today :D

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yes, but mostly endurance stuff (100 milers, marathons, 12 hours, 24 hours, multi day, etc)

Although, this weekend I am heading to Crested Butte to give the MSC xc race a whirl.

Ideally, solo self-supported backcountry epics of 10+ hours is where it is at for me.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Racing sounds like an ideal way to run an otherwise relaxing and enjoyable activity.

·
Ricky DH
2,249 Posts
I race a few races a year, DH and Super D at Keystone and WP. The G3 series at Keystone was a blast last year. Two DH races and one Super D, then your times were combined. Krankworks was a lot of fun too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to race XC and road. Haven't raced either in a few years now. Sometimes I find myself missing it. I will probably pick it up again one day. Right now I'm still enjoying riding just to be out riding.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, off I go to race Crested Butte! I love the MSC race scene. But I do miss some 2+ hour XC rides once the race season starts. So much to ride, too much work:madman:

Some day I'll achieve my dream of the snowboard/bike bum.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
everyday, on the boulder turnpike. I'm slow so I have to be cunning. I love to block those Audi's that want to scream past me at 100 MPH. I force them to use the shoulder to pass me. Pure muscle doesn't make up for skillz, baby!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Race, no, never have and never had too much interest in it. For me it's not about coming in first place or even measuring myself against a yard stick. I MTB because I love to ride and enjoy the solitude of the outdoor experience. Maybe that makes me a purist.

1,328 Posts
I race XC, Road and Cross but only when I feel like it and when it's convenient. It is pretty expensive to be driving around the state/region, getting two licenses, entry fees and then camping/hotel and childcare!?!?

I try to stick to local (ACA) races as they seem to put more money into local junior teams than USAC (imo).

Racing keeps me sharper with bike handling, helps me evaluate my alleged "training" program, keeps me in the company of generally happy people and since I'm not really excited about being DFL, I ride more.

·
Heathen
768 Posts
Not in a couple years but I have raced:

Motorcycles:
Motocross
Flattrack
TT

Bikes:
XC
6, 8, 12 hour solo
12, 24 hour team
CAT 5 road
12 MilesOfHell (now the Hills of Hell)
Dirty Du (near Austin. Lance and a few of the Discovery team were there)

I don't see any more racing for me in the future. Too expensive, too much BS.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
Ah the glory days of old!
Marathon XC (100ish milers)
24-hour racing
XC.
Still do once in a while, but the problem with racing is that you tend to spend a lot of time on training, which is very different from actually riding. One tends to be work and the other play. I work too much already.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well, I used to race a ton back in, ahem, my 20's. Lots of XC racing. Then I started racing 24 hour races and did those for a while and eventually life started happening (or at least that was the excuse) and it all stopped. Don't get me wrong, I still rode, but no more racing. No training for racing, no "lap" times, no competing against the clock to get a bit better...just started riding for me. And it was great! But now that I am getting closer to 40 than I am to my 20's and my family life is stable, i.e.; child is not a baby/toddler anymore, I am going to start dabbling in some racing again.

I committed to do the Dakota Five-O in my hometown of Spearfish, SD, so I guess it is back on the radar. Though I don't have any delusions of grandeur, I want to finish in a somewhat respectable time and not die on the way, so a bit of "training" has crept back into my life. Oh well, it is not the worst thing that could happen. Worst case scenario is I'll ride our trails a bit stronger...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.