Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Thank a Soldier Today
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to enter a race as a beginner. :) I'll don't train much more than ride, ride, ride as much as I can but I figure the experience will be invaluable.

I'm excited and nervous and was hoping you all could point out some existing threads in regard to race wisdom, tips, and tricks. Example: I read a thread here talking about the experiencing of passing and being passed. Ok, I didn't know that was something complicated. How come experienced riders seem to keep their repair kit in their jersey rather than in a saddle bag? Other, other, other....

I'm going to have fun as a beginer but why not be alittle prepared too!

I have read Ned Overend's book. I'm going to go back and review the race section but I know the additional plethora of experience of this community could write a book on this alone.

Thanks for your help. My apologies if I missed an obvious thread!

Very respectfully,

Gun5

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
Ok cool, couple of things off the top of my head.

The "repair kit" in the jersey pocket is there for easier and quicker access than a saddle bag. The "repair kit" rarely consists of more than spare tube and a Co2 pump.

If you are comfortable using a camel back, go for it. If you are going to use bottles make sure you can drink on the move. Practice if you need to.

Taping a gel to the top tube is an easy way to get to the gel. Put the tape across the tear off bit so the "body" of the gel comes off when you tear it.

Don't be afraid that competing in the beginners category will make you seep like a wimp. Your better off learning the ropes in shorter races then overcooking yourself in the longer races.

Get there early. Better to be waiting around than rushing to get ready.

Make sure your bike is in perfect running order. Nothing is worse than having a silly bike failure to ruin what could be a good day.

DO NOT try any new food or drink before or during a race that you haven't tried 3 or 4 times during a normal riding.

Do one or more practice lap. Check out any tough sections so you know what to expect.

Race your own race. Don't go all out to keep up with other races and blow up after 20 minutes.

For your first few races I think it is better to go conservitively (sp) in the first hard and come home harder.

Have fun and be sure to make some new friends on the day.

Oh and don't eat any processed meat products or drink any milk products before a race.

·
Thank a Soldier Today
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gumbymark said:
Ok cool, couple of things off the top of my head.

The "repair kit" in the jersey pocket is there for easier and quicker access than a saddle bag. The "repair kit" rarely consists of more than spare tube and a Co2 pump.

If you are comfortable using a camel back, go for it. If you are going to use bottles make sure you can drink on the move. Practice if you need to.

Taping a gel to the top tube is an easy way to get to the gel. Put the tape across the tear off bit so the "body" of the gel comes off when you tear it.

Don't be afraid that competing in the beginners category will make you seep like a wimp. Your better off learning the ropes in shorter races then overcooking yourself in the longer races.

Get there early. Better to be waiting around than rushing to get ready.

Make sure your bike is in perfect running order. Nothing is worse than having a silly bike failure to ruin what could be a good day.

DO NOT try any new food or drink before or during a race that you haven't tried 3 or 4 times during a normal riding.

Do one or more practice lap. Check out any tough sections so you know what to expect.

Race your own race. Don't go all out to keep up with other races and blow up after 20 minutes.

For your first few races I think it is better to go conservitively (sp) in the first hard and come home harder.

Have fun and be sure to make some new friends on the day.

Oh and don't eat any processed meat products or drink any milk products before a race.
Thanks for the tips! This is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

I'll be sure to hit the forum with my race details!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.