Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clyde Wheel Suggestion for racing. Niner Air 9 geared. I am looking at the following…..
Easton Haven XC
Easton XC One 29
Mavic Crosmax 29
I9 Ultralite
I9 XC
5’11” 210 and I ride pretty hard, good lines but strong.
I am looking for input so if anybody can chime in. Thanks.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I'm running the XC Ones on my 26er full suspension rig. I ran it last year doing some of the local M.A.S.S. races. They are light and very durable. 2 of my co-workers are using the XC Ones in the 29r flavor and have nothing bad to say about them.

I'm 6'2" 185

Co-workers are approx 6'3" 220ish and the other is 5'8" 175 - they are both very very strong riders.

On the flip side, I just picked up a set of the Shimano 29r XT wheels. They are on the 1800 gram range - haven't weighed them yet or have them mounted - so we will see how they perform.

·
Registered
532 Posts
BadPirate said:
Clyde Wheel Suggestion for racing. Niner Air 9 geared. I am looking at the following…..
Easton Haven XC
Easton XC One 29
Mavic Crosmax 29
I9 Ultralite
I9 XC
5'11" 210 and I ride pretty hard, good lines but strong.
I am looking for input so if anybody can chime in. Thanks.
Bonti Mustangs/SuperComps/DT240
My.02

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I would go custom built. If you have a wheel issue, which is more likely if you're racing, you can get it fixed quickly and locally. Then get back to racing. I opted for Hope Pro 2/Stans Flows in the 36 hole flavor. Not super light but they should give a few good seasons of use. And I have the support of my LBS since they built them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm almost the same numbers (5'11", 215) and I'm on I9s to Flows on my Sultan. IMO I9 ultralites are out of consideration for people our size, especially if you ride "strong". I ride hard and still put my I9s out of wack a few times a year. If I9s go at least XC.

I'm looking long and hard at Crossmaxs as a second set but given my less than stellar history with Mavic freehub bodies I'm hesitant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.