Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am racing next season and still trainning but right now I have an Ironhorse bike some 1.5" riser bar. I've seen other racers with flat bars and some with riser bar. Which is better, faster and climb better, being comfortable is not a factor. And are there any suggestions which kind I should use. Carbon or Aluminum. Also should I go with 31.8 or go smaller stem and bars.

·
Registered
363 Posts
gibbyk said:
I am racing next season and still trainning but right now I have an Ironhorse bike some 1.5" riser bar. I've seen other racers with flat bars and some with riser bar. Which is better, faster and climb better, being comfortable is not a factor. And are there any suggestions which kind I should use. Carbon or Aluminum. Also should I go with 31.8 or go smaller stem and bars.
For racing you probaly should go with a flat bar. Riser bars are more for comfort and sit you in a upright position, not really a race position in my opinion. Aluminum is light and priced right but if you insist on saving every gram then spend the money on carbon.

Carl

·
Registered
163 Posts
It depends

A riser bar doesn't necessarily put you in a more upright position. You can use a different stem or remove spacers (most people have too many anyway) and achieve the same position.

Riser bars are a little stiffer, as is the 31.8 diameter tube. Does that really matter? For most people, probably not, but I don't really know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iktome said:
A riser bar doesn't necessarily put you in a more upright position. You can use a different stem or remove spacers (most people have too many anyway) and achieve the same position.

Riser bars are a little stiffer, as is the 31.8 diameter tube. Does that really matter? For most people, probably not, but I don't really know.
I haven't removed spacers yet, but I have stacked some on the top part of my stem to get the bar in a lower postion. Dosn't removing spacers mean that you have to cut the fork? How hard is that?

·
bang
1,290 Posts
gibbyk said:
why not race what you currently have, and then decide if you want to spend the cash on new stuff? news bars won't make you any faster; getting out there and racing a lot will though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've used both...

...but I finally settled on low-rise Easton Monkey Lites. I adjusted my stem and spacers so that I was virtually in the same climbing position though. My logic was this: I'm a better "rider" than I am "climber" no matter how much I train, that's just the cold hard fact. I just try to survive the climbs and make up as much time as possible on the descents and technical parts of the course. I feel much more control with the riser than I do with my old flat bar. It's just a matter of enhancing, what I consider, a strength.

·
Registered
559 Posts
drop the wrists, keep the risers.

gibbyk said:
Here is my opinion. It workd for me, I have been racing in competive mtb for 3 years now. I have come across that dilems also. Get low riser bars. You will sacrafice a little bit of front tire stability with them but here is the catch. Make a habit of dropping yoour wrist on the climb. This puts more tranquivical weight on the bars and therefore keeeping your front tire down. I drop my wrists so much that it is just habbit. Riser bars really help you decend with confidence and many pro riders use them.

GOAT

·
Registered
363 Posts
goat said:
Here is my opinion. It workd for me, I have been racing in competive mtb for 3 years now. I have come across that dilems also. Get low riser bars. You will sacrafice a little bit of front tire stability with them but here is the catch. Make a habit of dropping yoour wrist on the climb. This puts more tranquivical weight on the bars and therefore keeeping your front tire down. I drop my wrists so much that it is just habbit. Riser bars really help you decend with confidence and many pro riders use them.

GOAT
Thanks for the good info!!! I agree with you, if I was going to go riser it would have to be only on my full suspension which will be used for technical races and it would be a low riser bar. No matter what my hardtail is staying flat.

Anyone use the EC 90 flat bar? I could never see myself using a bar that is only 560mm. I need a wider grip for out of the saddle power climbs. Any opinions?

Carl

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
gibbyk said:
I haven't removed spacers yet, but I have stacked some on the top part of my stem to get the bar in a lower postion. Dosn't removing spacers mean that you have to cut the fork? How hard is that?
Cutting the fork isnt very hard. Just make sure you measure it correctly because once you cut it too short you can't fix it. Measure twice cut once is the motto. But some tools you'll need is a saw guide to make sure you cut the steer straight. A hack saw. Prolly a clamp to clamp the saw guide. Once you cut it youll most likely have to put a new star fangled nut in which would require a star fangled nut hammer. Well, i guess you may need to acquire several tools first. Metal cutting fluid could be nice but not necessarily necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.