Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am entering my first race ever in a couple of weeks. Been riding for a long time, just never raced.

The beginner course is a 5 mile uphill on fire roads, that I do pretty often, then 5 miles down single track that I also do pretty often. I do this ride on my rigid SS, 4" squishy or 6" squishy depending on the day and my mood.

It seems I allways do the climb faster on my SS, just cause I nearly have to to keep momentum. Will this give me an advantage against the gearies in the race?

The downhill is pretty smooth and cruiser, with just a few bad washboard sections, but I don't know that I ride it a whole lot faster on my Squish vrs rigid.

Any recomendations for a first timer?
cheers
Matt

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I could do fairly well on the decent. It's really a matter of avoiding what I call "cardiac arrest mode" on the climb.

Second question...
Should I swap my WTB Mutano 2.4's out for some supe skinny and light 1.9 Specialized tires that I have? The traxion really sucks on them, but it may save half a pound...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Lambone said:
I think I could do fairly well on the decent. It's really a matter of avoiding what I call "cardiac arrest mode" on the climb.

Second question...
Should I swap my WTB Mutano 2.4's out for some supe skinny and light 1.9 Specialized tires that I have? The traxion really sucks on them, but it may save half a pound...
Go for the traction.

·
Registered
18,806 Posts
shiggy said:
Go for the traction.
I agree, stick with the Mutanos. They're already really light and have low rolling resistance. Besides, you're not supposed to make unfamiliar equipment changes right before the race. Which race is this?

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Lambone said:
It seems I allways do the climb faster on my SS, just cause I nearly have to to keep momentum. Will this give me an advantage against the gearies in the race?

Matt
Try your best to get around them before getting to this climb. When you get stuck behind people spinning up the hill at 2 mph, it'll kill your momentum. Also, learn how to pass while hammering up hills. Look for safe lines and be firm, but not rude, if you need to ask them to scoot over a little bit so you can pass.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
shiggy, Nat and Drevil have given you sound, sage advice. don't forget to have fun and be modest afterwards when the gearies realize they have been defeated by a gearless dood! :D
let us know how it went.
OGG

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I usually say "Singlespeed Coming through" and most guys say "yeah, right", look over, and then mover over when they realize it is true.

Also, sometimes you have to make a really agressive pass on less them smooth ground to get around the guys riding their granny up the steep yet quick uphills. I have even gone off trail (keeping momentum) to get around people on these types of uphills. As we all know, momentum is the key so if off-trail is really unsmooth, you would be better waiting.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My 1st year racing too

However, I'v been racing in the SS class. In AZ this is a wide variety of riders in the SS class from expert, intermediate and beginner. I finish middle in the class but have a great time with the SSers. Even though I am in the SS class I still get to pass a lot of geary's:)

I did do one race this year in Mexico where I was the only SSer there (outkast). I believe I was told to say Pista la derecha & Pista izquierdo for passing right and left. The bad thing is that I could not remember what to say once the race started. Anyhow it was the most fun I had racing this year. Good luck to you and have a blast.

·
being is
286 Posts
sport class

Just enter in the sport/SS class. Beginner class is a ripoff. The races are usually too short. If the sport/SS class offers a longer race I'd opt for that.

That 5mile hillclimb sounds made to order for the SS. Just get her up to your redline and watch the gap develop between you and all of the gearies. Work on maintaining your momentum on that downhill by not having to scrub too much speed in corners and washboard. As long as there aren't too many flat sections in the course you will blow the gearies out of the water. Have fun!

Also, practice on the course! Your local knowledge will be good for a lot of time saved. Know where to max out and where to recover. Where to pass and where to hang back.

And to repeat the obvious, have fun!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have a very vivid memory of being passed by an SSer at 24 Hours of Moab... on a flat section. I was cranking along in my big ring and this dude comes spinning by me. He must've been at like 130 rpm! This was before I got into SS-ing. Kinda made an impression.

Go SS. Ride the big Mutanos. Remove your brakes - will make for a very dramatic scene after you cross the finish line victorious! S

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
Lambone said:
It's the Ashland "Spring Thaw,"
Saturday April 30th. Sunday is the DH race.

regiser online at: www.somba.org/springthaw

The Sport class has a SS category, but Beginner doesn't, all indication is I have no business entering the Sport class, and beginner is actually pretty competitive.
Dernit, I hope for a moment it was Ashland Wisconsin but we don't have 5 mile climbs/descents here...

good luck & smoke 'em

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.