Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These tires are both proven fast-rollers. But I'm wondering which can stand up better against sidewall cuts from sharp rocks. I'm referring to the tube-type tires and, with the NBX, the light versions--the 2.2 or 2.0. What do you think? And Shiggy--do you have an opinion? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
Jesseg said:
These tires are both proven fast-rollers. But I'm wondering which can stand up better against sidewall cuts from sharp rocks. I'm referring to the tube-type tires and, with the NBX, the light versions--the 2.2 or 2.0. What do you think? And Shiggy--do you have an opinion? Thanks.
Neither.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I run RaRalphs in 2,25 for 2 months now and all the time on really sharp rocks. the problem is that you need at least 3Bars not to snakebite them but they grip only up to 2barshttps://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/mad5.gif (I am 150lbs). So you either have a bouncy slippery tire or you put less pressure and kill them.
They lighten up the bike a lot though. So i ditch them and go for the Trailbear 2,5.

ride on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dotkom said:
I run RaRalphs in 2,25 for 2 months now and all the time on really sharp rocks. the problem is that you need at least 3Bars not to snakebite them but they grip only up to 2barshttps://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/mad5.gif (I am 150lbs). So you either have a bouncy slippery tire or you put less pressure and kill them.
They lighten up the bike a lot though. So i ditch them and go for the Trailbear 2,5.

ride on
Interesting. You must be used to bigger tires. I was used to things like the Hutch Python. And I find the Ralph to be quite snakebite resistant, but because of this, a little harsh at the pressures I was used to. I'm 167, and I used to run around 30psi (tubeless), now I can do 27 psi (<2 bars) with a Ralph. Shiggy is gonna be upset that I'm talking up DIY tubeless. I suppose if you're not racing or you're heavy or don't like to go around things or don't like PIA initial setup, UST makes a lot of sense. Personally, I haven't (yet) had other types of trouble that DIY can bring.

BTW--I should have made it clear that I know neither my tire picks will stand up to rocks very well compared to many other tires out there. However, I have only had one rock problem with my Ralphs in about 3 months of riding, which I find acceptable. Therefore, I've made my choices based on rolling resistance, because when you're racing, you want every advantage you can get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Jesseg said:
Interesting. You must be used to bigger tires. I was used to things like the Hutch Python. And I find the Ralph to be quite snakebite resistant, but because of this, a little harsh at the pressures I was used to. I'm 167, and I used to run around 30psi (tubeless), now I can do 27 psi (<2 bars) with a Ralph. Shiggy is gonna be upset that I'm talking up DIY tubeless. I suppose if you're not racing or you're heavy or don't like to go around things or don't like PIA initial setup, UST makes a lot of sense. Personally, I haven't (yet) had other types of trouble that DIY can bring.

BTW--I should have made it clear that I know neither my tire picks will stand up to rocks very well compared to many other tires out there. However, I have only had one rock problem with my Ralphs in about 3 months of riding, which I find acceptable. Therefore, I've made my choices based on rolling resistance, because when you're racing, you want every advantage you can get.
Well - I am not used to bigger tires,I am not heavy (150lbs).But you´re right I dont go around things (there are too much of them around here) I guess the Ralphs are simply not made for trailridng. I read some tests that claimed that they´re lightweight and grippy. Now I see their limits. However I gave the rear damper a faster rebound now they grip better. I give them another month. See my trails at www.swotch.com/gravelagency.htm. Thx good thoughts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good looking trails. Good looking woman in one of those picks as well ;) FWIW though, they don't look rougher than what I frequently ride. Living in salt lake city and riding in Park City, Deer Valley, Solitude, and occasionally Moab. As a hardtail rider, I guess I've just unconsciously trained myself to go around things and be smooth when I can't. Mostly the tubeless thing as well--assuming you're using tubes. Anyway, let me know if you'll be coming through SLC, UT and want to hit the local trails.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top