Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang, I was really liking these tires.

Riding yesterday, my rear Racing Ralph distorted / bulged up and started rubbing the chainstay. I deflated it a bit and started walking out as, I knew it was going to pop. Few minutes later, it burst about two inches on the sidewall, just below the tread. It was'nt torn by a rock or root just kinda failed.....

I'm running them on Stan's olympic rims at about 28psi and weigh 175lbs.

Should I try these again? I was really liking this tire but, was a bit worried at how light they were and how fragile the sidewall felt. Anyone else fail one of these?

·
mtbr member
70 Posts
More Ralph

Here's a picture of a Ralph that Ralphed while running with a tube. I don't know all the details. This was posted a while back in another forum. Awfully light tire; maybe it's for racing only. Looked like they were running a fairly technical rocky trail, not some groomed cross-country racecourse or urban bike path, like some people ride on.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
happens on UST RR as well

I bought a UST RR thinking it would hold up a little better, but no such luck. Within less than 8miles the sidewall was completely shredded and I had to walk home. The conti explorer UST that it replaced had seen that trail numerous times and you really can't even find any sidewall scuff marks. Too bad, cause I was totally diggin the RR, but its obvious that this tire is worthless if you ride on anything more than a bike path. I would never even consider running this tire as a race day tire given the numerous reports of dramatic failures in pretty mild situations.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
This isn't Racing Ralph's fault, it is Stan's sealant's fault. Amonia dissolves the rubber and eventually the tire bulges and pops. Try non-Amonia based sealant, like True Goo, run a tube or accept the fact that the tire will pop.

Here's what Stan's did to my Racing Ralph:

_MK

·
old and busted
125 Posts
I never had a problem with my RRs until I ran them with Stans. After a short time, I had a failure similar to MK, but not as extreme. I've since switched to the UST RR and haven't had any issues. This is my favorite tire.

·
old and busted
125 Posts
I never had a problem with my RRs until I ran them with Stans. After a short time, I had a failure similar to MK, but not as extreme. I've since switched to the UST RR and haven't had any issues. This is my favorite tire.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
MetricEee said:
I bought a UST RR thinking it would hold up a little better, but no such luck. Within less than 8miles the sidewall was completely shredded and I had to walk home. The conti explorer UST that it replaced had seen that trail numerous times and you really can't even find any sidewall scuff marks. Too bad, cause I was totally diggin the RR, but its obvious that this tire is worthless if you ride on anything more than a bike path. I would never even consider running this tire as a race day tire given the numerous reports of dramatic failures in pretty mild situations.
That's not my experience. Before Stan's did its job on the Ralph, I took it all over the Colorado front range, Moab and Fruita. I am far from a gingerly rider and the tire held it's own very, very well. No scuffs anywhere and all knobbies remained when it popped on a smooth section of otherwise trecherous trail.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
http://www.truegoo.com/default.asp

They're in Longmont, CO, I'm 15 minutes away in Boulder, CO, so for me they're local. They do sell off their website and if you call them, you'll be treated to a very knowledgable person. It is also sold at my local Performance Bike.

_MK

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
MK_ said:
This isn't Racing Ralph's fault, it is Stan's sealant's fault. Amonia dissolves the rubber and eventually the tire bulges and pops. Try non-Amonia based sealant, like True Goo, run a tube or accept the fact that the tire will pop.

Here's what Stan's did to my Racing Ralph:

_MK
I'm wondering if the RR has a different rubber compound than the Jimmy series. I've run a Big Jim with Stans for at least a year up front and it has no problems at all. I'd also run 2 Jimmies in the rear for 3-4 months each with no problems.

True Goo is in Longmont? Interesting. Might as well switch and support the locals instead of Stan. Can you stop by their place and buy it at their location or just bike shops?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Jdub said:
I'm wondering if the RR has a different rubber compound than the Jimmy series. I've run a Big Jim with Stans for at least a year up front and it has no problems at all. I'd also run 2 Jimmies in the rear for 3-4 months each with no problems...
Not sure about the rubber but they use different casing constructions.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IFrider1 said:
First photo is of the failure. 2nd pic is the dissected view of the inside of the tire. Looks like the layer containing the threads is seperated / dissolved from the outer, tread.
Oh ya, I've only had these for about 2 months. The rear tire I re-filled the Stan's in so, maybe it went first.

Anyone ask Stan about this? If not I'll email him and post the response.

I still like these rims though. Even though I'm pulling on the tire in the pic after riding them at about 20psi for a bit and then walking with them flat for two miles the tire bead is still held firmly in the hook.

·
Registered
76 Posts
could you expand on your Stan's theory?

I'm curious how you have deduced it is stan's that ate your tire? (I'm not saying your wrong, just interested in how you got there) It sounds like you ran some RRs without Stans, and then ran some with Stans and the tire imploded. Was it an older tire that you put stans into? Were you running tubes without a problem and then switched to a tubeless setup with the same tire? Did you get new tires and use stans on these after using another pair without?
There was stan's in the RR that died horribly on its maiden voyage, but I am going to need more data before I completely buy into the Stan's =death theory. Do we have any data on numbers of people with stan's that are having problems/ versus number of people without stans that are having problems, or vice versa?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I have used standard RRs with tubes on and off for a year with not problems.

Know a racer that trained and raced on RR 2.25 USTs with no sealant for most of a year with no problems and he is hard on tires.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
IFrider1 said:
First photo is of the failure. 2nd pic is the dissected view of the inside of the tire. Looks like the layer containing the threads is seperated / dissolved from the outer, tread.

That looks similar to a Conti Explorer ProTection I have that was bulging and sealed with Stans.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
off topic, but I've had tubes bulge out like that (in the intense picture) before, most notably once on a michelin hotS 2.1" kevlar beaded tyre when I was inflating it with compressed air. I guess I didn't do a good enough job of seating the bead - unfortunately the tube was a self-sealing "slime" tube and it exploded - showering my friend and I in fibrous, latexy goodness from head to toe just before a ride !

we went anyway, that stuff gets really itchy on one's skin after a while.

- Joel

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.