·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 24 hour race is coming up here in SoCal April 30th at Idyllwild

I have never raced and have some general questions

1. how long is the race coarse?
2. what is your average speed ?
3. how many laps can a racer expect to finish?

Now I know that it all depends on the rider as far as speed and laps I just want to get an idea what the field is like.

Let me know help me calm my nerves about racing.

thanx

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It's gonna be fun.

plate said:
The 24 hour race is coming up here in SoCal April 30th at Idyllwild

I have never raced and have some general questions

1. how long is the race coarse?
2. what is your average speed ?
3. how many laps can a racer expect to finish?

Now I know that it all depends on the rider as far as speed and laps I just want to get an idea what the field is like.

Let me know help me calm my nerves about racing.

thanx
TOTALY DEPENDS ON TOO MANY THINGS.
The course is almost 10 miles. Myabe 10.
If you can manage a 10 mile avg. you are in contention for prizes.
Number of laps depends on how many peeps on the team.
Iv'e raced the course with a few laps under an hour. But your game has to be on.
The fast guys, the "CRACK" fast guys, will have a few laps UNDER 40 minutes.
Through out the race times will become greater. Night laps could be 5-10 minutes longer if you don't ride much at night in your regular routine. Some riders rail at 4am.
Come daylight, you could cut the laps by 5 minutes.
I was able to do 5 laps this past weekend on a BRUTAL course for a single speed. I imagine that I could do 6 at Idyllwild.

It will be fun!
Wear a watch and keep track of the times your teammates come in.
Write down the times at camp so you know when to be at the tent. EAT when you get back to camp after every lap even if your not hungry.
PRINGLES, OREOS, CIRCUS PEANUTS, chicken, pasta,Coke, motrin. Recovery drinks, energy drinks, gels, goos. All of this at each meal. Doesn't have to be a lot. just to replace energy levels. DO NOT believe yourself when you are not hungry or thirsty. ALWAYS drink something.
Stay warm and dry. Its gonna be rainy maybe. . It's OK to be wet on the course. NOT at camp. Try to sleep or lay down after you eat. Bring your own T.P. The showers accept quarters.
Umm, it'll be a little warmer than you think at night. Usually. It'll be but cold waiting for a teammate. Once you are on the bike for 5-10 minutes you should warm up.
It's also OK to enjoy a beer ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly the kind of reply i was looking for. Thanks for the info I was thinking maybe I would try a local smaller race b4 doing a 24hr race.

Good Luck

noslogan said:
TOTALY DEPENDS ON TOO MANY THINGS.
The course is almost 10 miles. Myabe 10.
If you can manage a 10 mile avg. you are in contention for prizes.
Number of laps depends on how many peeps on the team.
Iv'e raced the course with a few laps under an hour. But your game has to be on.
The fast guys, the "CRACK" fast guys, will have a few laps UNDER 40 minutes.
Through out the race times will become greater. Night laps could be 5-10 minutes longer if you don't ride much at night in your regular routine. Some riders rail at 4am.
Come daylight, you could cut the laps by 5 minutes.
I was able to do 5 laps this past weekend on a BRUTAL course for a single speed. I imagine that I could do 6 at Idyllwild.

It will be fun!
Wear a watch and keep track of the times your teammates come in.
Write down the times at camp so you know when to be at the tent. EAT when you get back to camp after every lap even if your not hungry.
PRINGLES, OREOS, CIRCUS PEANUTS, chicken, pasta,Coke, motrin. Recovery drinks, energy drinks, gels, goos. All of this at each meal. Doesn't have to be a lot. just to replace energy levels. DO NOT believe yourself when you are not hungry or thirsty. ALWAYS drink something.
Stay warm and dry. Its gonna be rainy maybe. . It's OK to be wet on the course. NOT at camp. Try to sleep or lay down after you eat. Bring your own T.P. The showers accept quarters.
Umm, it'll be a little warmer than you think at night. Usually. It'll be but cold waiting for a teammate. Once you are on the bike for 5-10 minutes you should warm up.
It's also OK to enjoy a beer ;)

·
Registered
649 Posts
noslogan said:
Night laps could be 5-10 minutes longer if you don't ride much at night in your regular routine. Some riders rail at 4am.
For me night riding is the best!!! Especially if it's really hot during the day, the night gives you a much needed reprieve and you can just concentrate on riding and having fun! :)

BTW Plate, someone will always forget important things so make sure there are plenty of essentials between your team. Like TUBES!!!! :D
And don't get suckered into going faster than you are comfortable with, the race is long and what matters most is enjoying your riding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.