Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I wait for GF x-caliber to get here, I've been waiting since late october :mad: But since I live in Minnesota I can't ride in the winter anyways.

Anyways I'm coming from racing 26ers, the lbs said if your going to race, a 29er is the way to go. So I'm taking a shot. Personally I think it shouldn't be a big problem switching from a 26er to a 29er.I might even become a better rider by making the switch:). So how many of you race your 29er frequently?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I feel Cloxxki and many others on here can answer 29'er racing questions nicely, for me I can only give you my limited results for I am no racer, but I do partake in local events. My time dropped 4 whole minutes when I went to 29'ers. Same course, One week apart, it the same shape, with the same heartrate, etc. 4 whole minutes. They just carry momentum so well. That is my expierence and that is all I got hahaha. later and have a great one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
huh... wtf

just cuz you can't race in the winter doesn't mean you can't ride.
Don't get me wrong, I commute to school(3 miles) in the winter every week day no matter how cold it is, Just 2 weeks ago it was -18 degrees and the afternoon temp was only 0. I just can't find any trail down in Southern MN that are open and not taken over by skiers and snowmobiles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
Nice pics Kurt! Is that Chris in the first photo? Hartly trails?
yup, hartley right after where souppyboy did the chestplant off the rock. last year we had 2' of snow on the ground when this was taken. and that is chris the buttahman on the monkey. dunno if you met jay or not. his white 1x1 w/ the 3.0s really works well in snow.

when are you heading back this way?? we need to ride again.

kl

·
Registered
60 Posts
ssom04 said:
So how many of you race your 29er frequently?
I race mine frequently enough that I keep forgeting to come check these forums out. :)

Many people race them, and it is growing ever year. mostly in endurance events, but we are out there in shorter events too. I won the 30+ exp short track xc ncs series in 3003 on a fisher 29, they are just plain faster. you made a good choice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Last year i did two races in Jacksonville Florida about 3 weeks apart. The first was on a Fisher Supercaliber 29er. The next was on a 26er rigid single speed. My lap times were 2 min faster on the SS 26er than the 29er.

Why? Tight corners, lots of sand and not many places to get the big wheels turning. Every time i would get up to speed, i would have to fight the bike around tight turns in sand. I cranked thru every turn and never had to fight the Kona SS.

In wide open races, they are da bomb! tight twisty single track, it was a handfull.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
In such conditions maybe the lack of gears is what made you fast more than the wheelsize. I've never seen trails tight enough to see me lose out measurably due to 29" constraints. Kona's aren't even that well suited for tight trails (on paper at least).
On my own SuperCal, and the tightest trails of our race series, last year I was faster than my eternal 5'7" (I'm 6'4") competitor. He's way fitter and more experienced, and on a light team bike. On the tightest bits I was faster. On the wide and open, he kicked my butt by just being the fittest. In my 26" days I had to fight to stay with riders of his caliber, on my 29" bikes, others have to work to keep me in sight. Until the trail opens up, and my legs and lungs catapult me back through the field...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Raced a bunch of times on 29ers this past season, SS and geared (exp 40+). I did about as well as I would have expected to on 26" wheels. I had more fun doing it though, and, at least mentally, felt I had an edge. :)

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
kurtlange said:
yup, hartley right after where souppyboy did the chestplant off the rock. last year we had 2' of snow on the ground when this was taken. and that is chris the buttahman on the monkey. dunno if you met jay or not. his white 1x1 w/ the 3.0s really works well in snow.

when are you heading back this way?? we need to ride again.

kl
Say Hi to Chris for me! I am trying to organise a MTB trip that incorporates the FFTF 06 with Sean and Mark.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i'm not posting to contribute helpful information, just to mock the author! I grew up in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada, that's closer to the arctic than the U.S. We'd reach daytime high's of -40 on our coldest days, and i still managed to ride at least twice a week in the winters, in an average temp of -25.
do what you want, but don't take on the mentality that when you ride is beyond your control. you can ride in as cold weather as you want to. they even have a bike race on the iditarod trail!!! check the map, and SUCK IT UP CUPCAKE!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cloxxki said:
In such conditions maybe the lack of gears is what made you fast more than the wheelsize. I've never seen trails tight enough to see me lose out measurably due to 29" constraints. Kona's aren't even that well suited for tight trails (on paper at least).
On my own SuperCal, and the tightest trails of our race series, last year I was faster than my eternal 5'7" (I'm 6'4") competitor. He's way fitter and more experienced, and on a light team bike. On the tightest bits I was faster. On the wide and open, he kicked my butt by just being the fittest. In my 26" days I had to fight to stay with riders of his caliber, on my 29" bikes, others have to work to keep me in sight. Until the trail opens up, and my legs and lungs catapult me back through the field...
The Kona was an older A'HA. I sold the Fisher, but i am back on a 29er now. Rigid SS
style.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.