Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking.... this has been a busy season for me, learning a lot to boot. From solid podium performances to knocked unconcious wake up in the ambulance type days, been racing a lot. No one on my team seems to be very motivated to race much in mtbike events, and I can hardly find any partners in crime locally (New Mexico) excpet Sportsman!

Just seems kind of wasteful to do so much solo driving..... and gets dang lonely to boot!

Remaining races this season:

24 July - Telluride, CO "Full Tilt at Telluride" Mountain States Cup series race
{ 7 Aug - Snowmass National Aspen, CO (a definate maybe at this point) }
14 Aug - Los Alamos Fat tire Festival / Pajarito Punishment race (NMORS and AMBC race!!!)
22 Aug - Silver City, NM Signal Peak race (Championships for the NMORS)
5 Sep - Mountain States Cup finals at Keystone, CO ("Keystone Climax")
2 Oct - Road Apple Rally in Farmington, NM

Anyone in the neighborhood interested in any of these events should let me know if they'd like to carpool or hook up some how.... I'd feel less like a gasoline waster!
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
hey glen....

glenzx said:
Just checking.... this has been a busy season for me, learning a lot to boot. From solid podium performances to knocked unconcious wake up in the ambulance type days, been racing a lot. No one on my team seems to be very motivated to race much in mtbike events, and I can hardly find any partners in crime locally (New Mexico) excpet Sportsman!

Just seems kind of wasteful to do so much solo driving..... and gets dang lonely to boot!

Remaining races this season:

24 July - Telluride, CO "Full Tilt at Telluride" Mountain States Cup series race
{ 7 Aug - Snowmass National Aspen, CO (a definate maybe at this point) }
14 Aug - Los Alamos Fat tire Festival / Pajarito Punishment race (NMORS and AMBC race!!!)
22 Aug - Silver City, NM Signal Peak race (Championships for the NMORS)
5 Sep - Mountain States Cup finals at Keystone, CO ("Keystone Climax")
2 Oct - Road Apple Rally in Farmington, NM

Anyone in the neighborhood interested in any of these events should let me know if they'd like to carpool or hook up some how.... I'd feel less like a gasoline waster!
are you planning on doing NORBA Nat'ls in Mammoth?

rt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*rt* said:
are you planning on doing NORBA Nat'ls in Mammoth?

rt
Damn good question! I am ..... IF I can qualify! A top ten in a regional level race is mighty hard, although my best chance is at the Pajarito Punishment coming up here in NM. IF I qualify, I am planning on attending!

You?
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
glenzx said:
Damn good question! I am ..... IF I can qualify! A top ten in a regional level race is mighty hard, although my best chance is at the Pajarito Punishment coming up here in NM. IF I qualify, I am planning on attending!

You?
yep, i'll be there! i qualified earlier this season (before the streak of DNFs that turned out to be due to anemia!) and am planning to head out there a couple days early to aclimate to the altitude and conditions. i'll keep my fingers crossed that you qualify - it'd be great to actually meet in person.

cheers.

rt
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
You may be know this already...

*rt* said:
yep, i'll be there! i qualified earlier this season (before the streak of DNFs that turned out to be due to anemia!) and am planning to head out there a couple days early to aclimate to the altitude and conditions. i'll keep my fingers crossed that you qualify - it'd be great to actually meet in person.
I thought that when doing a race at altitude (if you're from a relatively low altitude) one should head out a couple of weeks ahead to give time to acclimate OR go immediately before the event to avoid altitude sickness. It is my understanding that having just a few days wasn't enough time to acclimate. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyhow, enjoy your leafy green vegetables!
Dr.F.
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
Dr.Faustus said:
I thought that when doing a race at altitude (if you're from a relatively low altitude) one should head out a couple of weeks ahead to give time to acclimate OR go immediately before the event to avoid altitude sickness. It is my understanding that having just a few days wasn't enough time to acclimate. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyhow, enjoy your leafy green vegetables!
Dr.F.
hmmm. i don't know the scientific truths about adjusting to altitude. i do know that when i go out west to ski it takes me a day or 2 to get over the instant altitude effects. if i had a couple weeks to spare it would be great to go up early but unfortunately my employer seems to think i need to come to work. go figure! ;)

no matter what i do the altitude is going to hurt me but if i give myself a day or two to get rid of the headache and adjust a bit to the time change i guess it's the best i can hope for.

mmmm. spinach & beef.

rt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*rt* said:
yep, i'll be there! i qualified earlier this season (before the streak of DNFs that turned out to be due to anemia!) and am planning to head out there a couple days early to aclimate to the altitude and conditions. i'll keep my fingers crossed that you qualify - it'd be great to actually meet in person.

cheers.

rt
Indeed, it'd be great to actually qualify for the race, but better yet to meet a fellow MTBR'er!

Thankfully, I live & train at the same aprx. elev. as mammoth so it ain't a problem..... for you, I'd bet 2-3 days would do you good to get over the immediate affects of acclimating, given a decent level of conditioning. Lots of agua and rest help to!

If only 9 other pro/experts register for the Pajarito Punishment race (ha!) I'll see you FOR SURE! Otherwise it'll be a hell of an achievement to get a top 10! I shall try my hardest though....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
want to start racing...

Hello,

I am tenatively planning on Parajito Punishment and Road Apple this season as a beginner to get my feetsies wet. I also live in Burque and carpool sounds good, especially since my wife doesn't seem interested in going with me. We oughta hook up.
~E

glenzx said:
Just checking.... this has been a busy season for me, learning a lot to boot. From solid podium performances to knocked unconcious wake up in the ambulance type days, been racing a lot. No one on my team seems to be very motivated to race much in mtbike events, and I can hardly find any partners in crime locally (New Mexico) excpet Sportsman!

Just seems kind of wasteful to do so much solo driving..... and gets dang lonely to boot!

Remaining races this season:

24 July - Telluride, CO "Full Tilt at Telluride" Mountain States Cup series race
{ 7 Aug - Snowmass National Aspen, CO (a definate maybe at this point) }
14 Aug - Los Alamos Fat tire Festival / Pajarito Punishment race (NMORS and AMBC race!!!)
22 Aug - Silver City, NM Signal Peak race (Championships for the NMORS)
5 Sep - Mountain States Cup finals at Keystone, CO ("Keystone Climax")
2 Oct - Road Apple Rally in Farmington, NM

Anyone in the neighborhood interested in any of these events should let me know if they'd like to carpool or hook up some how.... I'd feel less like a gasoline waster!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ethanbro said:
Hello,

I am tenatively planning on Parajito Punishment and Road Apple this season as a beginner to get my feetsies wet. I also live in Burque and carpool sounds good, especially since my wife doesn't seem interested in going with me. We oughta hook up.
~E
Cool! The Pajarito Punishment is an excellent race here at home, and road apple sounds really fun (first time will be this year for me). Are you planning on racing beginner? Or maybe sport?

Let's meet up at the Punishment and go from there! Farmington is a perfect car pool type adventure..... I've got a Cherokee with a 4-bike rack, so it'd be easy to pack up, head down to ABQ and load in others and hit the road to Farmington. Also sounds like an excellent race for beginners. Punishment will have a reduced course to go easy(er) on the folks newer to racing, as the climb up Pipeline Rd. is BRUTAL. But fun too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Coolio...

I've wanted to race for a while now, but haven't the time/ability. I've been told to start as a beginner for my first race, although I've been riding for a while and consider myself more a sport or slightly-above type of rider. Your based in LA area? I've heard about my buddy BrianC's escapades up north, and look forward to fillin' his now absent shoes in this years epic's up northern. I'm on the Gita'04 newsletter grouppo now, and would love to do the Boundry trail someday. :cool:

anyhoot, cool to meet ya via this board, now we oughta ride.

~e
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ethanbro said:
Your based in LA area?

~e
Actually in Santa Fe, but spend a good amt. of time up in LA, as there are some great riders and good folks.... I'm also helping as much as I can with the FTF/race there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ethanbro said:
SO you would be the hookup to ride SF area rides, yes? I've wondered what's up there worth driving up to as I've usually kept to the Albq area stuff (mostly east of the Sandias).

~E
LOL, there are a few of us, including the infamous Dr. Faustus. If you like the east side of the sandias, you'll love the upper trails around the ski basin here!
 

·
Basura Blanca
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
Pipeline was good on Sunday

The big rainstorm we had Saturday night convinced me it was time to ride pipeline (gotta do it once/year, right?), so after Rick and I rode up Lower Quemezon, I headed on up and over to Pajarito. Caught all the singletrack I could coming back down, including Nail Trail and Dick Less. Pipeline was in better shape than I'd seen it in a long time, mostly due to the moisture. There was actually traction to be had, and keeping to the line was not so critical. I almost enjoyed it!
- Joe

glenzx said:
Cool! The Pajarito Punishment is an excellent race here at home, and road apple sounds really fun (first time will be this year for me). Are you planning on racing beginner? Or maybe sport?

Let's meet up at the Punishment and go from there! Farmington is a perfect car pool type adventure..... I've got a Cherokee with a 4-bike rack, so it'd be easy to pack up, head down to ABQ and load in others and hit the road to Farmington. Also sounds like an excellent race for beginners. Punishment will have a reduced course to go easy(er) on the folks newer to racing, as the climb up Pipeline Rd. is BRUTAL. But fun too.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top