Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 11 years old and a pretty good mountainbike rider. We ride together in sycamore canyon (in TO - up guadalasco, down the connector trail) almost everyweeked now. He is interested in racing events. I tried the local bike shops with no luck. All the organized kids racing seem to be geared toward BMX. Does anyone know where I can get information for racing events that include his age group? I would be willing to drive a good bit for this, we live in thousand oaks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
DNARIDER,

Me and my son ride those same trails often. When he was your son's age, I took him up race at the Firestone Walker races before they were Nationals, and also some of the SB (Elings Park) races.

The problem is that if your son is riding that much, you do not want to put him in the kids races as they are usually very short, lame rides. What we had to do was sign him up with the 13-15 yr old class so that he could race on the real course.

He was nervous the first time - but had a great time and no issues at all after that.

Kirk

·
That's gonna leave a mark
1,632 Posts
I would also take him up to do Rim Nordic in Running Springs, across the street from Snow Valley ski resort. Here's the link: Rim Nordic.

They offer an 11-12, 13-14, and 15-16 Jr category. They race one lap on the fairly challenging 7.2 mile course with just under 1000 feet of climbing. And remember, that's at altitude.

I would email Bev the organizer (a super nice lady) and ask if they will still be holding a Jr category in 2009.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
TheOriginalDBD said:
SouthridgeUSA in Fontana has an age bracket he could race in. The winter series is kicking off this weekend if you wanted to head down to check it out.

I believe they have a 11-12 beginner class and an Under 18 Sport class.
good place to start

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great info. I think I am heading over to the southridge event on saturday. Has anyone been there before? any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I downloaded the waiver and have directions. Also, what is the 4-cross event? Not familiar with that term as I have never raced myself. I was going to sign him up for the 11-12 XC race for starters and see how he licked it.

·
Gangreen
198 Posts
I've done a few races with my 10 year old stepson. We'll be at Southridge ourselves Saturday, also for the first time. I personally recommend you ride alongside him at his first race to boost his confidence and safety. I've ridden with my stepson on a lap at the 12 hours of Temecula - it was a long lap for us but he made it. Also, your son might enjoy a cyclocross race, my stepson has done two and had a blast at both. He used his mountain bike, and the courses challenged his riding skills and endurance without any major injury risk, and as a parent it was reassuring being able to monitor him as he passed by on each (short) lap. And Dad, if you enjoy suffering as much as the next biker, then give it a whirl in the Cat 3/4 class, I bet you love it too. Just so happens there are two local 'cross events left before the season ends, one in El Dorado park in LB and one in OC location TBA. Check out crossfever.org. Hope to see you at the races

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I am definatly going to ride with him if I can. From what I can gather from the forums the XC course if seven miles with three climbs. There is no way I would turn him loose on that without riding it first as I am not sure how steep the climbs are. I am hoping that they are not too much for him (not even sure that the 11-12 year olds race that same course). He can handle a good single track climb and the seven miles is no problem, but too much grade and he will get frustrated and won't have any fun , and my goal here is to keep it fun for him.

I was also going to check out the downhill course as well as he wants to do that but I am even more concerned about turning him loose on that one without checking it out first I he does not have the proper protective gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.