Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
Joined
·
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody doing the DH race at Northstar this Sunday, June 21st? I'm going to take some photos and perhaps video. Any hints as to the best places to get good shots would be much appreciated, e.g. jumps, rock gardens, etc. If you see a tall dorky looking looking guy with a baseball cap turned backward and taking photos with a Canon DSLR and flash, and you do a jump or something interesting you will probably get your photo taken and posted here, and also here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
I am going to try make it out and I know of a few other guys trying to make it as well. Still have to work out the whole Father's Day thing and see if I can make it up.

You can obviously take pictures at the bottom Stadium Jump where the finish is and there are a few nice berms right before that. The Expert/Pros are going to be on the bottom part of Karpiel which should be a little gnarly.

Would be great to get some good photos, and we all appreciate you coming out to snap them! :thumbsup:
 

·
Capricious youth...
Joined
·
3,814 Posts
Hahahaha... $$$ is the other concern.

By-the-by, we're thinking of a day trip to GnarStar on Saturday, the 27th. Ian can only make a day trip because of his work schedule, and he's been dying to go, so we'll be 5am-leaving-riding-all-day-getting-home-at-midnight---ing it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Mike come out this weekend! =]

I will be out there. I will probably be the only guy out there on a Tomac. Keep an eye out for me!

Thanks in advance for coming out!

= me

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
so its official...I'll be there to race on Sunday. I'm sure I'll see you out there Josh, and you can look for the biggest heaviest Commencal...and that'll be me on it :D

Did you guys find a campground as well for Sat night?
 

·
N* Bomber Crew
Joined
·
4,271 Posts
One of the more popular places to take photos are the last zig zags right at the bottom underneath the lift.

Hike up a bit and watch the Experts come down the chute! That chute is all kinds of gnar.

Also can't you get a hiking pass and ride up and down the lifts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Cantil3v3r said:
so its official...I'll be there to race on Sunday. I'm sure I'll see you out there Josh, and you can look for the biggest heaviest Commencal...and that'll be me on it :D

Did you guys find a campground as well for Sat night?
Haha awesome!

Ben and I are actually crashing the 50/50 campsite. So were in. I hope you guys can get a spot!
 

·
Capricious youth...
Joined
·
3,814 Posts
Raptordude said:
One of the more popular places to take photos are the last zig zags right at the bottom underneath the lift.

Hike up a bit and watch the Experts come down the chute! That chute is all kinds of gnar.

Also can't you get a hiking pass and ride up and down the lifts?
Yeah, you can. But they're not free anymore. They're $5.00 per person. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
joshed said:
Haha awesome!

Ben and I are actually crashing the 50/50 campsite. So were in. I hope you guys can get a spot!
Sweet, just confirmed a spot at the campground. Might be tent camping in one of the RV spots if one of the tent spots don't open up but it doesn't bother me. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Prettym1k3 said:
Dang, I really wanted to race Expert/Pro, sand bag it, and just mob the lower part of Karpiel. :(
Pretty sure sand bagging is when you race a class lower than you should not one higher than you normaly do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
The race was a lot of fun. The weather was beautiful and the track was pretty nice overall. There were definitely a few dusty dry sections where I washed out in my practice run but overall it was sweet. Decided to try the Sport class, rode a pretty clean run, and pulled off a 2nd place finish. Super stoked since we got up too late to ride on Saturday and only got one practice run it. Lots of people were killing it out there and laying out some nasty whips and such over the stadium jump finish! Well done to everybody who raced :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
I was doing decently, till I got distracted by a photographer and went slighly off coarse somewere about mid-way. Not sure if the photograper was the OP or not. No harm ment, I'm sure, just caught me off-gaurd. I was pretty tired and beat-up from ridding the preveois day. Next race I'm only going to ride a few runs the Saturday before.
 

·
Capricious youth...
Joined
·
3,814 Posts
Cantil3v3r said:
The race was a lot of fun. The weather was beautiful and the track was pretty nice overall. There were definitely a few dusty dry sections where I washed out in my practice run but overall it was sweet. Decided to try the Sport class, rode a pretty clean run, and pulled off a 2nd place finish. Super stoked since we got up too late to ride on Saturday and only got one practice run it. Lots of people were killing it out there and laying out some nasty whips and such over the stadium jump finish! Well done to everybody who raced :thumbsup:
BRYAN! Congrats, man!

Guess it paid off to move up to Sport, huh?

Next trip to N* I think I'll definitely be following YOU down the hill. Which will work out well. Salar let me borrow his Vholdr helmet cam. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Thanks man :D

I don't think you will be following me...unless you want to be waiting for me to go faster. You would have had fun on the Expert/Pro course!

Hey Wherewolf - did you make it up and get any nice pictures?

Anybody know of other people who snapped some pictures?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top