Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone from racing long events with a XC hardtail to one of these longer travel hardtails (commencal meta, nukeproof scout)? If you did I'm curious how it went, looking to go more the 'fun' route on my day to day riding without giving up too much on the marathon days.. Having messed up a carbon xc hardtail frame I'll be going aluminum just for cost either way..

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,785 Posts
I think a modern geo hardtail with 120-130 wouldn't hold you back much. In some cases it may even be better. Ibis DV9 isn't super expensive for carbon, can take a 120 fork, but doesn't have the most progressive geo. Just one example.

I think if you get into 140-150 hardtails they are not going to be best suited to racing. They will be beefier and meant to be ridden hard, not super race focused. (This coming from the guy who races steel frames ;) )

A Kona Honzo DL would be a decent choice. May want to swap for lighter wheels and tires though.

Niner Air 9 may also be a decent choice. Again, not super aggro though.

For endurance (depending on what you consider endurance) I personally favor a short travel full suspension. Currently use a Kona Hei Hei CR/DL for anything over 3-4 hours depending on how rough the course is.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Has anyone gone from racing long events with a XC hardtail to one of these longer travel hardtails (commencal meta, nukeproof scout)? If you did I'm curious how it went, looking to go more the 'fun' route on my day to day riding without giving up too much on the marathon days.. Having messed up a carbon xc hardtail frame I'll be going aluminum just for cost either way..
I went from doing long endurance events on XC hardtail (120mm fork, SC Highball frame) to a 100/100 XC FS bike. I found that the longer the race or ride the more less fatigue I feel. The rear suspension really helps take the edge off the constant pounding. More fun came from the short dropper post which allows me to get low an toss the bike around a lot and it is easier to send little jumps. Interestingly the head angle was very similar on both bikes given the slight overfork on Highball. However I still have a HT, but it is a steel single speed running 29x2.6 tires with a 100mm fork. Fun for lots of stuff with 2.6 on 35mm wide wheels and with 2.3's on 21mm wheels still a good race bike. However for long rides I just prefer gears.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,471 Posts
I've done a few SS 6hrs on a Kona Unit (11.5kg), both suspended (100mm, 80mm) and rigid.
It got better and more fun the less travel...

One SS 4hr on an old 26" 140mm Santa Cruz Chameleon (12.5kg) with dropper.
The extra weight and 26" wheels of the Chameleon counted against it considerably.

Now, I'd be on the geared 100mm 2012 Giant Anthem (with dropper).
I don't feel nearly as beat up at the end and it weighs the same as the Chameleon...

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
I’ve done long events and races (marathon+ distance, 12/24-hour solo) exclusively on my SS for years. Steel, then Ti, now carbon. I’m tired of getting beat up, and bought a Yeti SB100 to use for some of them. After riding it alot over the past couple months, I have to say that despite my past preference for SS and HT, riding is a helluva lot more FUN on a nice FS bike, and to a lesser degree, with gears.

So my point is, to the title of the thread, a nice, racey, “XC+” FS bike fulfills that for me. Hands down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Student of the Bike
810 Posts
I may somewhat be in your desired camp. Not exactly sure where your "fun HT" boundaries start, but my Trek Stache sure fits that definition for me. Mine is running a 120MM fork but some out there are over-forking their bikes a bit.

This is my primary bike and my racing proclivities are towards the longer endurance stuff. I've done multiple 6-9 hr events on this machine and have been pretty pleased. If the course is techie or least bit chunky, then I think its a fine choice. However, if there is a ton of climbing or some MTB pace-lining then I begin to see some of its limits at the pointy edge of the racing spectrum.

host an image

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.