Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Formerly of Kent
12,356 Posts
I saw one on the starting line yesterday. His wife forgot his 29er was on the roof rack and drove into the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
3,875 Posts
2005 Blur XC or 2011 Stumpy hardtail depending on the track. Would love a hardtail 29'er though...

·
Registered
832 Posts
26er hardtail here, I learnt the hard way years ago that spending more money won't make me any faster.

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
No. I have a teammate that rides/races 26". And that does not make you a schmuck.

Its all about fun...

·
Perpetual n00b
1,785 Posts
I will also be racing my 26er this year. Already setting PRs on it. It just handles so nicely.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Racing a 26" dually here!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I wouldn't say you are schmuck if you are some recreational racer, who is buying his own bike, and who doesn't feel like buying fe 1000eur/usd worth bike every year. So yes, I'm still staying with my 26er. But I'm pretty sure I will be on 29er as soon as I buy new bike, which hopefully won't happen in next year or two. Or if there's anyone out there, who would like to give me new bike as sponsor deal, I'm happy to take it and change it every season, or twice during season whatever suites you :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I know, but I'm not buying 26er every year either, so 29er will need to wait until I will buy new bike. And I'm buying it when this one won't do anymore, not because 29er is really popular now, so I would need to have it. I believe it's faster and everything, but for this what I need, I have other, much cheaper things where I can get much bigger difference in speed then with 3" bigger wheels :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'll be on a 26er again this year. I must admit that I'm loving all the deals on 26er frames, wheels and tires.
So true about the deals. That's exactly why two of my bikes are 26'' but the one I'm using for racing is a 29er.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Convert your bike to 27.5 to avoid being a schmuk! Haha. While a 29er hardtail might be a little more comfy over the bumps, it is not that big of a difference no matter what anyone says.

26" bikes do look funny now...especially with a rider over 6' tall.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
3,875 Posts
Convert your bike to 27.5 to avoid being a schmuk! Haha. While a 29er hardtail might be a little more comfy over the bumps, it is not that big of a difference no matter what anyone says.

26" bikes do look funny now...especially with a rider over 6' tall.
A 26" wheeled XL frame does look wrong...

·
XC Hack
343 Posts
A 26 is fine (I rode one for years) but I must say I do ride faster on my 29 (more PRs and placings are better--and it's not placebo). The 29 carries momentum better than a 26. I'm 6-0 and the 29 fits me way better. I still see lots of 26s in the field.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll be on a 26" ht this year too. For me, at least, I feel I have more to gain in fitness both between the ears and physical.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
I have a lot of bikes in many different wheel sizes and suspension configurations but all with nearly identical parts. The time difference between bikes is so small that one would be tempted to say there isn't a difference. Each bike does something better then the others and each bike is a lot of fun on particular terrain aspects.

The old 26inch hardtail is a rocket ship, a twitchy rocket ship that is always trying to kill you but still a rocket ship.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts