Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1pt21Gigawatts
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is combination for some reason creates improper spacing relative to the derailleur hanger bolt on the inside of the frame, and therefore rubs the cassette lockring. therefore, the wheel will not spin properly.
I did not read about this before i bought my ride and while building it up yesterday it took me a bit to figure it out.
I called a few shops to know about this and they either recommend: putting a spacer in the axle which will need the wheel redished, or to file.
i went with the latter and filed/sanded down the back of the ring the hanger screws into. Seems ok now

Does anyone know of a replacement hanger that runs flush?

It's kind of strange being that Titus jerseys list their sponsor as: DTSwis & SRAM

i'll post some pics later

·
Registered
631 Posts
I seem to recall that some folks had issues with the SRAM cassette lock ring being too thick and either rubbing on the hanger or dropout or both. The fix was swapping the lock-ring with a shimano or just running a shimano cassette.

Not sure if this is what you're running into or not.

cheers,
simp

·
Maniac
40 Posts
I had the same problem recently when I tried to fit an 07 Sram cluster to my DT Swiss hubs, the lock ring binds on the lock nuts of the hanger bolts. Same as you've described.
I couldn't even spin the wheel with this combination. That whole area is very tight on tolerences

I swapped the alloy lock ring on the SRAM cluster with an XT cluster and it fixed the problem. I had the old lock ring from the previous cluster.

I will consider filing the hanger nuts down as you've done also.

·
1pt21Gigawatts
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, a tight fit it is! but no drag on the cassette anymore.
I tried a real old cassette lockring, but the chain didnt sit right anymore, so i must try a newer shimano...
in the meantime, here are some pics:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The infamous SRAM lockring...

Yep - A 990 lockring will do it every time!

Any other SRAM or Shimano lockring for the proper tooth count (11t or 12t) will work, just not the 990. Apparently the 990 has some spacing issues and sits further out than any of the others. One of the mechanics at my local shop actually tried lockrings from a SRAM 950 (LX level), SRAM 980 (XT level), Shimano XT and Shimano XTR and didn't have any issues...put the SRAM 990 on and a very slight amount of rub.

Seeing how it's only an issue on the 990 lockring and has nothing to do with how the cassette functions, I'd get yourself a new lockring and forget about it!:thumbsup:

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
Not just the 990, but all Sram lockrings, unless there's been a recent design change.

This has been an "issue" for at least 7 years, lots of threads about it in the archives. All it takes is filing one edge of the hanger bolt a few mm.

My brother didn't have any problem with a Sram lockring on his new Moto-Lite II though, so maybe Titus has taken care of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.