Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if these are fair direct comparisons, given the differing nature of the suspensions and the price differences. Still, I would like to hear from any of you who have ridden both of these, and what you liked and didn't like about each frame.

I am looking for a lightweight, relatively inexpensive (<$2k for the frame), efficient XC bike. I live in Colorado, don't jump off anything (or less than 1'), 6'2" tall, weigh about 165 pounds, and would like a long ride/endurance type bike for rougher trails and races. I have a 29er softail for smooth trails, and currently have a 2007 FSR with 120mm of rear travel and 100-140 TALAS fork. The FSR is super comfortable on really rough trails, but just doesn't seem to be too efficient on climbs or fast trails.

The Racer X design and Superlight designs have been around for many years, which might be good or bad.

The SC Blur XC is too small in the large size, so I have been looking at the Superlight. Another option is the Giant Trance, but I have not test-ridden one in my size.

Any comments?

Steve

·
Registered
153 Posts
I rode a superlight for 5 years and went to a 06 racer-x when my superlight broke. I was impressed with the superlight but the racer-x is a whole lever above it. The suspension is so much nicer and smoother feeling than the superlight. It does a lot better climbing in the rough and the descending has a nice feel to it with the racer-x. You can pick the racer-x's up for cheap on ebay and I would go for it. Also the racer-x is much stiffer in the rear than the superlight (at least the older version).

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
Steve, I have ridden both and my vote is for the Racer X. The superlight is ....well, superlight, But it suffers from one mighty big flaw shared by many single pivot frames,I MHO, that is brake jack. This is the tendancy of the rear suspension to lock up under hard braking. Not an issue with the Racer X. Both, however, are admirable long distance rides and comparable in weight, I think.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a Racer X my brother has a Super Lite. They are totally opposite bikes. The Racer X is a thoroughbred made for racing. This doesn't mean it can't be a trail bike or an epic ride bike but foremost it is a racer, meaning stiff suspension and very quick handling. On the other hand the Super Lite is a more upright ride with a more active rear suspension. You can race it but it excels more at the all day epic type rides. Again they are 100mm suspended bikes not all mountain bikes so when I say epic I mean both are nice to ride all day because they are comfortable and handle well. If I read you right I would recommend a MotoLIte. You get a bike you can race and one that would be great on those epic trail rides on really rough terrain because of the additional inch of travel and of course the fantastic Titus quality and stiffness in the frame which I don't think the Super Lite gets close to.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The Titus RX is the Porshe 911 of full suspension mountain bikes. It's not super cushy but it is smoking fast. If you want something that is still light weight but has a little more travel check out the Titus Mojo. At 5.5" of travel and 22-23 pounds the Mojo is a great choice.

Sopwitcamel

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ditto on what others are saying. I rode a Heckler for a few years and loved it. Rode great and swore I couldn't feel any of the singlepivot traits that everyone talks about. Then I picked up a racer x for the wife and it wasn't long before Heckler was sold for a Motolite. The heckler/superlight are great bikes with a very evolved single pivot design but I won't be going back.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
same travel

slowrider said:
Both great xc bikes but coming off of an FSR the bad traits of the high singlepivot (brake jack and pedal feedback) would be far more noticable than the reduction in travel of moving to the X.
The SC Superlight has 100mm of rear travel, identical to the 26" version of the Racer X.

Steve

·
Ultimated Outsider
570 Posts
sopwithcamel said:
The Titus RX is the Porshe 911 of full suspension mountain bikes. It's not super cushy but it is smoking fast. If you want something that is still light weight but has a little more travel check out the Titus Mojo. At 5.5" of travel and 22-23 pounds the Mojo is a great choice.

Sopwitcamel
Titus makes a Mojo?

·
Ultimated Outsider
570 Posts
If your coming of a FSR, I would recoment Motolite. Before I got my ML I rode a Stumpy FSR 120 without the stupid brain and the difference between the way the two ride is stagering and is not because the Stumpy is a bad ride, is just that the ML is that much better. An anology would be the Stumpy rides like regular C6 Vette, the ML would be Z06 Vette, and the Racer X would be a ZR1 Vette.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.