Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jabberwocky Jockey
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Titus peeps.
I am in the market for a new machine that will be used for 12 and 24 hour races and epic rides. It will be replacing a bike from a well known manufacturer based in Golden Co. Even though I have had a good run on the current bike, I have been looking at Racer-X's for a year or so and I am interested.
My question for you all: How well does the Racer-X hold up in the long term. Do the pivots need alot of maintenance to keep them tight? Is there any discernable flex in the rear after say 2 or 3 years of riding? When maintenance is needed, how much $$ does it cost for upkeep.

Your help is appreciated.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I've had my Hammerhead 100-X almost 4 years now. I've changed everything only once and I've just ordered new main pivot bearings again. Not because of a failure but it's been over 2 years since the last change. I've only used up 2 or 3 rear shock pivot bushings and the front has only been changed by PUSH at service.

This isn't a one season frame like Special Ed or Giant. Titus makes a rock solid frame that is stiff and built to last. Bearings are about $5 each (Enduro Max) and their are 8 of them, 4 in the main pivot and 4 in the links. I don't remember what the Horst bushings cost but it was less than $10. Don't worry, you'll spend more on chain lube every year than frame maintenance.

The RX-100 is a great all-day enduro bike.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Darkwing Duck said:
Hello Titus peeps.
I am in the market for a new machine that will be used for 12 and 24 hour races and epic rides. It will be replacing a bike from a well known manufacturer based in Golden Co. Even though I have had a good run on the current bike, I have been looking at Racer-X's for a year or so and I am interested.
My question for you all: How well does the Racer-X hold up in the long term. Do the pivots need alot of maintenance to keep them tight? Is there any discernable flex in the rear after say 2 or 3 years of riding? When maintenance is needed, how much $$ does it cost for upkeep.

Your help is appreciated.
There was a post recently about bearing life on RacerX's - probably in the last 2 months. You'll get more info if you search for that. Personally, my '00 RacerX is holding up fine. Better than it's rider....

Kathy :^)

·
Registered
13,091 Posts
Yep, same experience here. This frame is rock solid. I've been hammering my HH100x for 3.5 years, 5-6 rides a week and I haven't touched the linkage other than to make sure bolts were tight and still am unable to detect any play whatsoever. Just ride it.

·
Professional lurker
218 Posts
The only maintenance item I'll add is to immediately remove the drive side horst link bolt and blue locktite it in place.

The suspension movement causes just that one bolt to loosen in use (well, that I've found in my usage and experience with other Titus rear ends).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.