Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want to make this lightest possible, thinking about changing the headset for tune or extralite and maybe going with a lefty sl w/rlc(claimed 1380g) if lighter than the fox100x(1675g what I remember) also waiting for some new stuff to come out marta mags, ninos tubes, 09 duraace rear & front der and thinking about building a lighter wheelset this one is 1300g ac hubs, ti spokes, olimpic rims new one would be tune/extralite hubs, ti pillar spokes, 7000 race rims calculated 1100g. what do you think? almost forgot one thing is the lefty going to mess the geo on the racer x?
frame racer x 2529g
bb ac ti spindle actiontech cups 131
cranks power arms 321
crank bolts al 10
ring bolts 7
b ring sugino shaved 42 49
s ring al 30 23
seat becker 64
seatpost kcnc ti scandium needs to be cut from 400mm
seatclamp extralite 13
chain kmc 226
cassette al 144
stem extralite 87
bar ec90 99

Attachments

·
information leafblower
244 Posts
I presume you're thinking Dura-Ace front mech converted to top pull using an adaptor?

I tried this on my RX for a few months, but eventually gave it up and returned to a boat anchor XT. You'll find the cable will slightly foul the linkage (until you sit on the bike and then it just clears the link), maybe because of this i found the shifting (2x9 SRAM) required lots of effort and felt like it was going to damage the gripshift.

rather than the lefty i'd seriously consider the Magura Durin SL, I'm using the regular Durin and have been really impressed with it on the RX.

My RX is down to 20.5 possibly heavy compared to yours, but i'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
95bonty said:
I presume you're thinking Dura-Ace front mech converted to top pull using an adaptor?

I tried this on my RX for a few months, but eventually gave it up and returned to a boat anchor XT. You'll find the cable will slightly foul the linkage (until you sit on the bike and then it just clears the link), maybe because of this i found the shifting (2x9 SRAM) required lots of effort and felt like it was going to damage the gripshift.

rather than the lefty i'd seriously consider the Magura Durin SL, I'm using the regular Durin and have been really impressed with it on the RX.

My RX is down to 20.5 possibly heavy compared to yours, but i'm pretty happy with it.
thanks for saving me all the trouble will start looking for an older XTR and do a search on the Durin SL, you got pics of your RX?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Limon: have you seen the Scott Scale limited with a lefty, or the Yeti? They both have very nice light steerers that are machined to accept a standard stem. They are both in the "post you lightweight bikes" post in this weight weenies forum. Lefty's are great, one of the best I have ridden and raced. If you are going to go with a lefty, save the $300 and get a Carbon SL with the one piece lower (available sometime in Feb.). This new lefty is only 1155g (claimed), and is even lighter than the '08's 1250g. For a light bike build, I would strongly look into a lefty. There may (rumor) be lefty hubs coming from Tune or some other super light euro brand. The CDale ones arnt bad though, mine was 117g. Lefty's are great.

Eliflap had his lefty tuned by 88+, the same headshok clinic that did Roel Paulisson's Olympic sub 1100gr lefty.

Heres a link to the weight of the lefty.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4595535#poststop

·
Weight Weenie Addict!
255 Posts
Limon said:
want to make this lightest possible, thinking about changing the headset for tune or extralite and maybe going with a lefty sl w/rlc(claimed 1380g) if lighter than the fox100x(1675g what I remember) also waiting for some new stuff to come out marta mags, ninos tubes, 09 duraace rear & front der and thinking about building a lighter wheelset this one is 1300g ac hubs, ti spokes, olimpic rims new one would be tune/extralite hubs, ti pillar spokes, 7000 race rims calculated 1100g. what do you think? almost forgot one thing is the lefty going to mess the geo on the racer x?
frame racer x 2529g
bb ac ti spindle actiontech cups 131
cranks power arms 321
crank bolts al 10
ring bolts 7
b ring sugino shaved 42 49
s ring al 30 23
seat becker 64
seatpost kcnc ti scandium needs to be cut from 400mm
seatclamp extralite 13
chain kmc 226
cassette al 144
stem extralite 87
bar ec90 99
You pretty much have a good lightweight part setup already picked. Instead of a Lefty..how about a Magura Durin SL? It should be around 1370 grams uncut.Tune Price/Princess with Sapin CX ray and ZTR Race 7000 is 1165 grams. Tune has those wheels on stock or you can purchase the parts and build. Extralite is probably the lightest headset (56 gr.) followed by the Tune (65 gr.). Seatpost you could go lighter with AX or Schmolke if you can spend the $$$. Seatclamps and derailleur clamp for that Dura Ace front derailleur you can use BTP stuff, 5 grams each in carbon. If you get the Magura Marta Mag you could swap the rotors for some Scrub Performance (56 grams each in 160 mm), but I see you already have Stan's rotors.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Lefty with a custom steerer is still lighter than a magura...The magura's also have a recall right now...The fork bridges are breaking. The bugs in the lefty were worked out in 2006...I tend to trust products that have been made public for a few years, and dont have an active recall.

The lefty is now 100gr lighter than the one pictured, and can be tuned to drop even more weight.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=5077658#poststop

http://www.eightyaid.com/

·
Weight Weenie Addict!
255 Posts
amillmtb said:
Lefty with a custom steerer is still lighter than a magura...The magura's also have a recall right now...The fork bridges are breaking. The bugs in the lefty were worked out in 2006...I tend to trust products that have been made public for a few years, and dont have an active recall.

The lefty is now 100gr lighter than the one pictured, and can be tuned to drop even more weight.

http://www.eightyaid.com/
Recal is only on the earlier models...not the SL's....While Leftys don't have active recalls...Have you ever seen the type of maintenance you have to keep with a Lefty? Leftys are on our shop all the time for maintence....read carefully Cannodale's literature. Anyway some of us are not too fund on propietary tech and the Lefty single leg looks....

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
jmartpr said:
Recal is only on the earlier models...not the SL's....While Leftys don't have active recalls...Have you ever seen the type of maintenance you have to keep with a Lefty? Leftys are on our shop all the time for maintence....read carefully Cannodale's literature. Anyway some of us are not too fund on propietary tech and the Lefty single leg looks....
No need to lecture me on Lefty's maintenance, I do repairs on them at the shop that I work at.

Lefty's are very expensive though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so magura durin sl 1370g + 100g hub or lefty around the same + 120g hub not to much difference both have good reviews pretty much comes to which one looks better, one leg or 2 arches and how much will the head tube angle change with the lefty?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Limon said:
so magura durin sl 1370g + 100g hub or lefty around the same + 120g hub not to much difference both have good reviews pretty much comes to which one looks better, one leg or 2 arches and how much will the head tube angle change with the lefty?
magura durin sl 1370g + 100g hub + 25g skewer = 1495g
or lefty around the same (yes with my special steertube 1358g) + 113g FRM hub (without skewer) = 1471g (-30g tuned lefty sl or -100g with new lefty sl2)
and then you must think about the differents between forks, stiffness, travel an d so on...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scalty said:
magura durin sl 1370g + 100g hub + 25g skewer = 1495g
or lefty around the same (yes with my special steertube 1358g) + 113g FRM hub (without skewer) = 1471g (-30g tuned lefty sl or -100g with new lefty sl2)
and then you must think about the differents between forks, stiffness, travel an d so on...

can you sell me a steertube and how much is steering going to be affected with the taller fork?
thanks

1 - 20 of 215 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.