Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want to make this lightest possible, thinking about changing the headset for tune or extralite and maybe going with a lefty sl w/rlc(claimed 1380g) if lighter than the fox100x(1675g what I remember) also waiting for some new stuff to come out marta mags, ninos tubes, 09 duraace rear & front der and thinking about building a lighter wheelset this one is 1300g ac hubs, ti spokes, olimpic rims new one would be tune/extralite hubs, ti pillar spokes, 7000 race rims calculated 1100g. what do you think? almost forgot one thing is the lefty going to mess the geo on the racer x?
frame racer x 2529g
bb ac ti spindle actiontech cups 131
cranks power arms 321
crank bolts al 10
ring bolts 7
b ring sugino shaved 42 49
s ring al 30 23
seat becker 64
seatpost kcnc ti scandium needs to be cut from 400mm
seatclamp extralite 13
chain kmc 226
cassette al 144
stem extralite 87
bar ec90 99

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
You know it's funny Extralite bikes have been around for a while but their light weight have not captured a whole lot of Pro Racing wins. Also by running ultra light weight drive train parts you are sacraficing smooth flawless shifting for clunky light weight shifting. Miss shifts equals lost seconds on the race course. Next I don't care what the advertising says but a 64 gram saddle will never be comfortable. If your body hurts you can't put the power into the bike. Speaking of bio-mechanics running light weight Extralite bar ends will help extract more power from your body and prevent your hands from going numb during racing. Next the wheel system, by going with ti spokes you putting a lot flex and wind up into the wheel system it's going be like pedaling a rubber band. Unless your feather lite your not got realize any performance gains there. For wheels I would recommend Stans new Olympic system or Industry Nine ultralites wheelset depending on your weight. As for the lefty check the axle crown height on the lefty vs the standard 100MM standard fox fork the bike was orginally designed for. If your looking for a lighter headset look at the Crank Brothers Directsets.

Sopwithcamel

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
Been there, done that. Learned my lesson. Expensive parts are indeed lighter, and road parts and running 2x9 or 1x1 is indeed lighter, but once you get to a certain point, it becomes ludicrously stupid.

Anyone with cash reserves can make a 14lb bike.

Question is, can your body take it? ;) And can the weight-weenie parts take you?

Since we're talking about light, I would ditch that fox fork and go for a SID or Magura if you really want to make it light.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TiEndo said:
Limon.....What happened to your Exogrid RX and the Rue X??????? You had both had amazing weights at one time.
the Rue X I still have its setup with v brakes the exogrid I sold and regret selling now I really want a Ti X to make up for it, Ti X with carbon downtube by Rue would be perfect if only titus would sell me a front triangle with out a downtube, do you know the right people to get something like that?

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Limon said:
the Rue X I still have its setup with v brakes the exogrid I sold and regret selling now I really want a Ti X to make up for it, Ti X with carbon downtube by Rue would be perfect if only titus would sell me a front triangle with out a downtube, do you know the right people to get something like that?
Sorry, they don't do jack squat in terms of favors for me;) . Best to ask someone like BikerBob to see if he could pull a special order off like that. I wonder if you could get them to use a Isogrid downtube on an X for you.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sopwithcamel said:
You know it's funny Extralite bikes have been around for a while but their light weight have not captured a whole lot of Pro Racing wins. Also by running ultra light weight drive train parts you are sacraficing smooth flawless shifting for clunky light weight shifting. Miss shifts equals lost seconds on the race course. Next I don't care what the advertising says but a 64 gram saddle will never be comfortable. If your body hurts you can't put the power into the bike. Speaking of bio-mechanics running light weight Extralite bar ends will help extract more power from your body and prevent your hands from going numb during racing. Next the wheel system, by going with ti spokes you putting a lot flex and wind up into the wheel system it's going be like pedaling a rubber band. Unless your feather lite your not got realize any performance gains there. For wheels I would recommend Stans new Olympic system or Industry Nine ultralites wheelset depending on your weight. As for the lefty check the axle crown height on the lefty vs the standard 100MM standard fox fork the bike was orginally designed for. If your looking for a lighter headset look at the Crank Brothers Directsets.

Sopwithcamel
you're probably right don't get me wrong the bike is going to be 100% rideable when I'm done. I been riding ti spokes for ever never had a problem with stiffnes but industry Nine wheels do look sweet. crankbrothers headsets look tiny on al headtube walls but perfect for steel.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TiEndo said:
Sorry, they don't do jack squat in terms of favors for me;) . Best to ask someone like BikerBob to see if he could pull a special order off like that. I wonder if you could get them to use a Isogrid downtube on an X for you.
i asked when I got the exogrid I got denied but as soon as I decide if I'm going with al X(lighter) or ti X I'll ask again

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Daffunda said:
Been there, done that. Learned my lesson. Expensive parts are indeed lighter, and road parts and running 2x9 or 1x1 is indeed lighter, but once you get to a certain point, it becomes ludicrously stupid.

Anyone with cash reserves can make a 14lb bike.

Question is, can your body take it? ;) And can the weight-weenie parts take you?

Since we're talking about light, I would ditch that fox fork and go for a SID or Magura if you really want to make it light.
the only thing that holds me back from going to a lighter fork is the no bob on 100x.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.