Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NoTubes.com
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the FS 29er shootout that Francis and the boys put together and most of them liked the bike except for the rear suspension. A couple of the reviewers commented that the RP23 may not be the best shock for the bike. Was this a setup issue related to the quick test format that was used or something inherent to the design of the bike?

I've ridden some older 80mm RX 26" bikes in the past that probably had Float R or RLCs on them and I realize the the RX isn't going to be plush like the Niner RIP 9. I'm leaning towards a Ti RX 29er for my next purchase to replace my well used and very trusty Loco Moto. A Ventana El Patron is also a strong contender.

Link to the review if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/29er/

·
GASing
508 Posts
Mike,

I've spent a lot of time with the RX 29er used in that test for the last week, and I've been on 2 group rides with all the 29ers from the test. That RX has an RP3, not an RP23. It did not feel very active - the Rear suspension was taking the edge off the smaller bumps, but you'd almost think you were on a hardtail. Very similar to an RP3 equipped 26" RX. It was not working like you'd expect a long travel rear suspension. This was OK, because it's a 29er, and the big hoops go far in smoothing things out. The one place where I really felt the limited plushness was on a descent with lots of bumps and drops - It got you through most everything, but you felt it! this is not the bikes strong point. But on fast singletrack, getting over log piles, single logs, or riding up stairs and rocky technical ascents, Or just getting through stuff FAST, the bike was an animal.

In summary, it handled a lot like a 26"RX, but without the lightning quick neural connection handling - the 29er takes a little more mojo to get it to go where you want. It loves to be leaned like the 26er. It handles the rough stuff better than the 26er, but still does not instill confidence on steep, rough descents. I'd say that the bike works well as equipped, but if you wanted to experiment with swapping, or Pushing the rear shock, you could definitely get more plushness out of those 3 inches.

·
NoTubes.com
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Francis and Karl both said RP23 but I went back to the photos and it does show the RP3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.