Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your help. I am ready to purchase either of the 2 bikes for my self. I'm 6'0 and 215 with gear. I currently have a medium sir 9 that I love and want a fs. I read about the jets getting a little flexy in the back for us heavier guys. I was wondering if the titus would be a better ride. I won't have a chance to ride either before purchase, I like niner geometry, but I have heard a lot about the titus. Any feedback is appreciated....

:)

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
I can tell you this...the Titus is stiff and tracks superbly. I have not ridden a Jet but I hear they ride great. I'd think the Titus may be a bit less plush but (and this is a guess, though a confident one) a lot stiffer. I also have a RIP9, which is a sweet ride. I'm not sure how close in feel the Jet is to that but I thought about the Jet as well. The stiffness of the Titus won me over. The Horst link suspension is still a fantastic option and works really well on a 29er. Titus does a good job with the Horst, keeps links short, and ovalizes the downtube to create a pretty stiff bike. What I do not know at all- is the Racer-X or Jet faster? :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
The Jet is obviously faster since I just bought one. :)

For some unknown reasons, the Racer-X 29 never made my short list before I bought my Jet9 1 month ago. I think it was because an employee at my local shop was selling his to get a Jet or something else.

I am delighted with my Jet, and flex is certainly not an issue for me. But I am a featherweight.

Anyway, try to test ride both, with similar components on them. I found most of our test ride impressions come from all the parts on the bike, rather than the frame only.

·
Registered
931 Posts
They are both great bikes. Kind of like which of Jessica Simpson's breasts to I want to grab.

From what I hear, the Titus is a real XC bike with "minimal" suspension while the Jet is more all mountain. Really is like almost every other choice, what do the trails you ride most often demand? They are both...like Jess' breasts wondrous.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I got a ? for the 2 guys looking at the JET9........Do either of you guys race? I'm serioously curious WHY do "bigger" people want to get bikes designed for lightweights and racing? :rolleyes: I know I'd be considered "under weight" by most americans @ 6'2" and 170-175lbs, but 2" shorter and 40lbs heavier equates a bit over weight to me and not a racer physio - why not consider a RIP9, Sultan, El Rey, Leviathon 4"/Behemoth, Canzo......

·
Registered
569 Posts
LyNx said:
I got a ? for the 2 guys looking at the JET9........Do either of you guys race? I'm serioously curious WHY do "bigger" people want to get bikes designed for lightweights and racing? :rolleyes: I know I'd be considered "under weight" by most americans @ 6'2" and 170-175lbs, but 2" shorter and 40lbs heavier equates a bit over weight to me and not a racer physio - why not consider a RIP9, Sultan, El Rey, Leviathon 4"/Behemoth, Canzo......
I do race, quite a bit. It was between a HT and the Jet9 (well, not really ever considered the HT, but some friend were pushing it for racing).

But if someone is not racing at all, maybe the Fip9 should be considered.

·
Adventurous Hacker
438 Posts
These are both REAL bikes . . .

. . . unlike Jess' breasts which, wondrous though they may be, are undoubtedly as fake as her hair color.

Both bikes are a triumph of substance over style, again unlike you know who.

Have fun riding and let us know how it turns out.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
BoomingSooner said:
They are both great bikes. Kind of like which of Jessica Simpson's breasts to I want to grab.

From what I hear, the Titus is a real XC bike with "minimal" suspension while the Jet is more all mountain. Really is like almost every other choice, what do the trails you ride most often demand? They are both...like Jess' breasts wondrous.
I have ridden both. I would give the nod of pedaling stiffness to the Titus and the rear susp on both feels pretty comparable to me in travel, etc. Set-up makes most of the diff. I sure would not call the JET all mountain in any way.

Likely the biggest diff is the way the JET does not require a Pro Pedal setting to be all around good, and I think the RX would unless you tune it to a gnat's eylash.

I liked them both and it would be a tough choice. For pure racing...likely the JET. For racing/XC riding...the RX. I think.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You seem to have a guilty conciounce(sp?) or something as I clearly was not referencing you by your quote below :skep: :D

flafonta said:
................But I am a featherweight.
flafonta said:
I do race, quite a bit. It was between a HT and the Jet9 (well, not really ever considered the HT, but some friend were pushing it for racing).

But if someone is not racing at all, maybe the RIP9 should be considered.

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
I'm no racer but there are areas I can feel the stiffness difference on and the Racer X is stiffer than the RIP9, front and rear. I don't use propedal on either. I get full travel (minus ~2 mm) out of the Titus and less out of the RIP but I never use propedal. I normally use propedal on other bikes.

Who knows- the Jet may be faster by a few seconds in a 100 yard dash but the stiffness helps me go faster on technical sections and hard/fast turns and helps me feel more secure and planted. I appreciate that in a trail bike and will easily take a half lb heavier frame if I have to make that choice. Since the RIP (2008) isn't as stiff as the Racer X, I figured the Jet was definitely not as stiff. Who needs two Niners anyway?:p

Yes, I do like stiff frames and that usually ends up being an important criteria, even though I have owned some not-so-stiff bikes. I'm not trying to convince you one way or another...simply giving you my opionion on what is important to me. Obviously, geometry is critical but suspension action and stiffness are the two other factors I consider. Both the Jet and Racer-X would make fantastic racers. The Titus makes a better trailbike for me.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Small differences

I endurance raced an RX 29 last year. I'll race the same RX 29 again this year. I love the bike. I raced with and against a number of guys on Jet 9's. They loved their bikes too. None of them ever complained about undue frame flex.
I believe they're comparable in application and performance. The biggest differences I can discern are these: The RX is designed @ a 100mm fork and the Jet 9 @ an 80mm; the Jet 9 has a 68mm BB shell and the RX has an 73mm BB shell; the Jet 9 has shorter stays, and a steeper seat angle, biasing the rider weight more forward.
I can only suggest riding both and picking the one that "feel" [fits] best. I don't believe either is going to have an appreciable advantage over the other, beyond individual personal preference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys for your input. I can pick up both frames for around 1100. I will try and find a demo center for titus. I live near speedgoat, but tghey no longer carry titus. Hope i find another demo center somewhere.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Can't speak to the niner, but I recently got a titus racer-x 29er and I love it. It is so stiff and stable through rock gardens and downhills. Huge improvement over the 26er racer-x that I rode/raced for 4-5 years. I am 6'1", 205 pounds. I have the bike built up to 27 pounds. Could probably push it down another pound for a few hundred more dollars, but as someone said here, I am a little big to be worrying about that much weight on the bike.

I got the frame from backcountryoutlet.com for 1136, and haven't regretted it one iota.

There is a race team forming here using niner bikes. You can get a smoking deal on one and also on parts. As tempting as it sounds, I don't think I can give up my racer-x though.

Here is a review I posted on my local board.

Okay - so I got my second ride in today on the new machine. I did ho chi, upper ho (land slide trail), the rocky trail that leads to sodak's video taped drop, up jelly legs, across fairy dust, back to the snake and down to rock city on the west snake, down jelly legs, around pepsi lake, back to spider and back home on techno and then the elwood downhill. It was a good ride - about 10 miles in 1:22.

First impressions - I think I made a good decision. This bike has a longer Effective Top Tube than my 26er, so I was able to go with a shorter stem. This speeds up the steering. Also, my old 26er was built around an 80mm fork - I was running a 100mm so the steering was slowed down and steep climbs forced the front end up a little. The new bike has none of these problems. Some people criticize racer-x's as being twitchy. Once you are used to them though, you actually like the ultra responsive handling. They are not plush dually's by any means. They transmit the trail to you almost like a hardtail. Surprisingly, I am able to whip the 29er's back-end around corners easier than the old bike. Davir said that 4" with 29" wheels is nirvana. He's probably right for most people, because this bike (courtesy of the horst link) only takes the edge off the bumps, but doesn't soak up the trail. But I like to hammer and go pretty fast, so this suits me. Also, I want to get back into the marathon endurance stuff, so for me the 3" in back and 4" up front makes sense. This bike is definitely more XC in heritage - Titus has been criticized for not responding to the "more travel is better" demands of the market which is now even hitting 29ers.

29er thoughts: With the front wheel out a little farther, I had so much more confidence doing some of the sketchier sections of upper ho. I do them fine on the 26er but some of the little drops and rock areas had some pucker factor. Not so with the big ole wheels. You just cruise over the stuff. Also, it seems like turkey was designed by a 29er rider. The gaps that previously beat me up, were bridged perfectly by the 29" wheels. It gave a little more flow to some sections that were just a rocky beat fest before. I also have carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve issues and my hands have been falling asleep lately. The last two days haven't beat me up at all.

One of the biggest differences I felt was in technical climbs. because the tire is bigger, the contact surface/approach is broader/not as steep as on 26" wheels. This means that as you are climbing and come across an embedded rock/boulder, the tire rolls over it an a less aggressive angle. Previoulsy I was doing this on some of the tech climbs: At the last minute, where you have to throw your bike up and over rocks while hovering over the saddle (which is buried in the taint to keep traction.

The 29ers seem to float over at the last minute which keeps you from having to throw the bike up and over. This saves the arms and anaerobic energy that kind of wears you down on trails like fairy dust. Perfect illustration of this in on the 2 90 degree turns with embedded boulders and 5-7 foot climbs about 1/2 way through the first section of fairy dust. These are hard maneuvers, but it was a little easier than normal because the front wheel keeps its momentum over the little rises and rock edges.

Speed: The bike seemed to accelerate like my other bike, but when you get it around 9-11 mph or faster it seems like you're in a sweet spot. Riding north on ho chi (yellow trail), the bike was cruising and a lot of fun. I also didn't notice too much difference in climbing. I was still able to use the middle ring to climb up spider.

Bottom line: I'm sold on the 29ers. You can tell the difference, but it's not like a complete revolution. It's not quite the amazing difference that you feel when you go from hardtail to full squish, but it's similar. I was wondering at times if it is like "cheating." But the fact of the matter, is that you need to have skills in the first place to really appreciate and handle the bike. Kind of like how riders who learn on a HT, can ride even better when they get a FS and ride it with flow like a HT. Also, I am 6'1" and a road rider too, so the big wheels seem more natural to me. It kind of seems like the way the bike should have been all along. I imagine someone shorter would probably feel a little different. I'm happy with the bike. Same old titus - perhaps, boring, but it fits me like a glove. Now improved with the 29" wheels which is a good compromise between racer 26" and a 5"+ travel all mountain bike. I'm glad I went with this over the yeti 575. Some people might have wanted to venture into another brand or all mountain bike, but I think this is a perfect XC/marathon bike that can still do some norba races if you ask it to and with some decent skills you can still take the technical sections down. I can't wait to take this thing to Womble around Dec 26th or so.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.