Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help ! Removed the crank bolts. How do I remove the cranks??? They appear to be stuck when trying just hand pressure. Do I need to use crank puller to remove the crank arms??Need to get to the BB to stop the creaking.

thanks

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
those are self extracting, but you won't be able to just pull the crank arm off. check out the download at raceface
http://raceface.com/tech/install-inst.htm

and or parktool.com's repair help for more tips & pictorial.
accidental said:
Help ! Removed the crank bolts. How do I remove the cranks??? They appear to be stuck when trying just hand pressure. Do I need to use crank puller to remove the crank arms??Need to get to the BB to stop the creaking.

thanks

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
I just did this a few months ago on my evolve xc. From what I remember the crank arm just came off when I removed the inner bolt. The outer bolt serves as the 'self extractor' and needs to remain in place. it can be removed later during reassemble but I don't see any need to do that. The non-drive side came out easily for me, no tapping with a socket and hammer or anything was needed.

Did you remove the inner (8mm) crank bolts or the outer (10mm) cap bolts? -(i might have the bolt sizes mixed up, can't remember)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checked again - the crank bolt has a plastic cap (like a large washer) that clips on to a threadless piece of metal. There is no 10mm thread on the cap or anywhere else on the bolt.
I have looked at the raceface document and notice that it does talk about the crank puller cap having a 10mm hex.
I have the raceface evolve xc and it is the doc i have been looking at - but my crank bolt does have what it says in the doc.

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
Questions:

1) Do you know what model year the crankset is?
2) Is it "X-type", (external bottom bracket) or are the bearings inside the BB shell?

Maybe older Evolve models came with internal BB's and no cap bolt to assist in removal. I don't know....or if you bought used, maybe the cap bolts are missing??? or they came off on the trail???

but I think you said you removed the crank bolts right? How? With a crank puller? And if so didn't the arm come off with it?

On my evolve ('05 model xtype) I think the drive side arm comes off when removing the drive side crank bolt. I then lightly tapped out the non drive side which comes out with the spindle attatched to the arm....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely not the same X-type - no wonder there is no 10mm cap bolt. I just have the crank bolt with a plastic cap on the end.
The bike is a Giant xtc2 2004 - the crank could be older though I cant tell.
Anyone with experience in removing the cranks on the older ones????
eatdrinkride, thanks for the trouble!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely not the same X-type - no wonder there is no 10mm cap bolt. I just have the crank bolt with a plastic cap on the end.
The bike is a Giant xtc2 2004 - the crank could be older though I cant tell.
Anyone with experience in removing the cranks on the older ones????
eatdrinkride, thanks for the trouble!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.