Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Turbine Cinch crankset for at least 3-4 seasons I think, and recently it has been a little b!tch. I cannot keep the chainring nut tight for more then a handful of rides rides, and the preload adjuster keeps backing off.

The last two times I have serviced the crankset they were complete tear downs, and detailed cleanings. Blue loctite was used on everything that had threads and grease was applied as needed. Torqued to spec with calibrated wrench. I even spit on it a few times for good measure.

Any tips?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
I've only ever greased the threads on mine. Clamp the DS crank arm in a vise with soft jaws and torque the lockring anytime I've messed with the chainring, and I've got 3 cranks that use this interface.

Does yours have the alu or the plastic preload ring? If you're even clamping it down with the teeny tiny screw and it loosens, it might be time to replace. RF sells the plastic ones now, but Cane Creek sells nicer alu ones that'll fit (the eeWings crank uses the same threads for its preload ring).

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I have 4500+ miles on cinch chainrings on two different bikes. One a Turbine and the other a next SL. Never and issues with lock ring for chainring backing out and only once did the pre-load adjuster back off. I never teardown to clear then either. When I change chainrings I do torque to spec with torque wrench and make sure things are reasonably clear for re-assembly. You can get spare plastic pre-load adjuster rings and metal lock rings on line. Since I like having spares I have a few pre load rings and 2 lock rings in spares box just in case. Saves down time if see any problems.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
ivehad the chainring lockring loosen every now and then. announces itself with a creak, but not frequent enough to see it as a major issue. 4 bikes, thousands of miles maybe twice. the preloader however....well, i ended up using either wheels manufacturing or cannondale wave washers accross the board and either using a hollowgram locking and thin washer or the preload cap wound on as far as possible as the 'backstop' for the wave washer. no problems ever since.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ivehad the chainring lockring loosen every now and then. announces itself with a creak, but not frequent enough to see it as a major issue. 4 bikes, thousands of miles maybe twice. the preloader however....well, i ended up using either wheels manufacturing or cannondale wave washers accross the board and either using a hollowgram locking and thin washer or the preload cap wound on as far as possible as the 'backstop' for the wave washer. no problems ever since.
Any pics of this setup. It's early on Friday and I cannot imagine.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Any pics of this setup. It's early on Friday and I cannot imagine.
Blue Electric blue Cobalt blue Engineering Circle

this is a lockring on a cinch that needs about a 1mm sacer on the thread. you then use the plastic fine adjust, or thicker alu 30mm spacers and a wave washer....

Steel Cylinder Nickel Tool Bicycle part

ill try and find some better pics...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.