Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Raceface ride crank and BB question -GXP spec?

1575 Views 7 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Mountainfrog
I ordered crank and a first components bottom bracket from a fat bike specialized dealer (recommended the combo for my 120mm shell)

The crank spindle seems to be a GXP, which I learned is 24mm on non drive side and 22 on drive side. (WTF?) BB is 24 on both sides so there is play on the drive side. None of the spacers etc seem to deal with that issue. Am I missing something or did they sell me the wrong combination of parts?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
First time I heard of raceface using gxp.
They’re normally 24mm on both sides.
I run raceface crankset with “normal” 24mm bb (shimano xt).
On my 29’er fully I run xo cranks with a gxp bb.
Make sure the bb is not missing one of the dust caps on the bb bearing, which actually acts as a spacer for the spindle as well, since it extends into the inside surface of the bearing.
Without it, the inside diameter will be too large, allowing for the axle to not be snug anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have a SRAM spindle for GXP. So yes, one is not compatible with the other. Contact them to see if a Shimano Hollowtech II spindle is available for fat bike application. GXP BB may be your only option. See attached.

My face is a bit red. The bearings in this bb are actually 25mm, it comes with a nylon sleeve that takes it to 24mm. I had pushed the drive side sleeve off and not noticed that it was stuck on the cap that the spindle has for shipping to cover the grease. So both sides of the BB are the same, and both sides of the spindle are the same. Now I just have to determine which spacers to use.
My face is a bit red. The bearings in this bb are actually 25mm, it comes with a nylon sleeve that takes it to 24mm. I had pushed the drive side sleeve off and not noticed that it was stuck on the cap that the spindle has for shipping to cover the grease. So both sides of the BB are the same, and both sides of the spindle are the same. Now I just have to determine which spacers to use.
Same happened to me before, hence I mentioned to check for it. I also pushed it out with the axle during install and didn’t notice until I found the sleeve/bearing cap lying near my work stand after I was done….

Reactions: 1
You have a SRAM spindle for GXP. So yes, one is not compatible with the other. Contact them to see if a Shimano Hollowtech II spindle is available for fat bike application. GXP BB may be your only option. See attached.

Raceface does’t make anything to fit gxp. All of their 24mm spindles are press fitted to the crankset like shimano’s.

Same happened to me before, hence I mentioned to check for it. I also pushed it out with the axle during install and didn’t notice until I found the sleeve/bearing cap lying near my work stand after I was done….

I don't know why your answer didn't register for me...google search caused me to immediately see this whacky GXP spec and I went down that spiral. I'm a dumbass.....but a relieved one.
Reactions: 1
Raceface does’t make anything to fit gxp. All of their 24mm spindles are press fitted to the crankset like shimano’s.

Good to know, thanks.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.