Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just ordered my narrow/wide chainring, which i will be using on my hardtail without a guide or clutch mech, i will post a little review once ive ridden a few times.

How Do You Guys Think it will Fair? Will i be dropping chains forever or will it stay?

Do i Need a special chain for 1x10?

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just did a 1x10 conversion with a wolf tooth GC, RF NW 32t chain ring, XT shadow+ and sram chain. It is my first setup with 1x10 and also first time using the shadow+ derailleur. I was able to get out for a short ride the other day and for the heck of it, 1/2 way through the ride I turned the clutch off to see if there was noticeably more chain slap, dropped chain etc... I didn't notice a difference. I was riding pretty buff single track though so that doesn't really surprise me. I'm sure that once you get into some chunk, rock gardens etc... the clutch will certainly make a difference. It will really depend upon the terrain you're riding on if you need a clutch RD or a guide. No special chain needed, any 10 spd chain will work.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
You need a 10 speed chain.
Depends on what kind of trails you ride on. I have run 1X9 with a single speed front ring and had no chain drops. I've got a couple of bikes now with a NW chain ring and no clutch but don't have any miles on them yet - upgraded over the winter. Most of the trails around here are on clay with some rooty sections and we've only got around 300' of elevation. Descents are usually short and not much rock.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
You need a 10 speed chain.
Depends on what kind of trails you ride on. I have run 1X9 with a single speed front ring and had no chain drops. I've got a couple of bikes now with a NW chain ring and no clutch but don't have any miles on them yet - upgraded over the winter. Most of the trails around here are on clay with some rooty sections and we've only got around 300' of elevation. Descents are usually short and not much rock.
To confirm, you're using a 10 spd chain on the 1x9? Or, answering op's chain question and then commenting on your 1x9 setup no clutch der setup?

One should match chain to the specific cassette, yes? I'm still having adjustment issues on my 10spd xt clutch der/9 spd sram shifter/xtr 9 spd cassette and chain setup. A couple of bike people (not keen on this setup....) have commented that it could be the Ti cogs on the upper end of xtr cassette causing the grinding noises (which is not unusual they say. "They" even being Mark Weir who I've been told used for race day bikes only, xt for most all other bike setups for that reason). Or the fact that it's not as new as the chain and chain rings are. Didn't recall this issue with it on previous 2x/3x setups where the chain was used alot in the somewhat similar cross chain middle ring/granny position.

Wondering if I should use a 10 spd chain, or retire my trinket jewelry xtr and get a new xt to match?

Thanks in advance Slash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why dont you just get 9 speed der? would be cheaper than losing that hella nice cassette youve got on that bad boy?

yes i have a 10 speed drivetrain, just wondering if i need a guide or clutch, im hoping not :D

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
why dont you just get 9 speed der? would be cheaper than losing that hella nice cassette youve got on that bad boy?

yes i have a 10 speed drivetrain, just wondering if i need a guide or clutch, im hoping not :D
My comment was directed to Slash, he knows what I'm talking about. ;)

I have 9spd drive train setup. Bought 10spd der to get clutch type to go along with a n/w front ring setup. Not ready $$wise to get a new cassette/chain/shifter etc. in 10spd yet. But will eventually have to sucomb....

Yes, would like to use up the life of the xtr cassette but couldn't find the most rescent chain that was on it to blend with the wear on cassette. Most likely the issue I'm having.

As for you, depending on bike/trails you could get away without the clutch. Hard tails usually can get away without it more than full suspension.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I'm still having adjustment issues on my 10spd xt clutch der/9 spd sram shifter/xtr 9 spd cassette and chain setup.
I was answering the OP's question.
Can you adjust the derailleur to get proper operation on the large cogs - ignoring the small cogs?

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Can you adjust the derailleur to get proper operation on the large cogs - ignoring the small cogs?
Yeah, figured that, just thought you had some more tricks.

My shifting is fine actually it was the hellacious grinding sound up in the climbing cogs on first 2 rides with the XT der. I have since switched back to the 9spd X9 der temporarily and the noise was same. So that's why narrowed down thinking to the cassette. The noise has settled down abit after a several rides but still there. Guess the chain is loosening up. Like I said, don't recall the noise in other setups. Maybe the cassette is older than I'd like to admit....:mad:

I'm heading to shop later to see if they have a 9spd xt cassette (which they seem to think will fix it) at reasonable price and have them put it on with the RF n/w ring that came in yesterday. If that takes care of it, I'll then switch back to the 10spd der setup and try to get it all dialed in a little better with the spacer shim on the cable clamp.

**Sorry to the OP for straying somewhat off-topic**

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Finally got the RF 30t ring on, which helped chain line, no guide and my 10 spd clutch derailleur.

It really does work. Just need a new cassette to make it all perfect.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ive just ordered my narrow/wide chainring, which i will be using on my hardtail without a guide or clutch mech, i will post a little review once ive ridden a few times.

How Do You Guys Think it will Fair? Will i be dropping chains forever or will it stay?

Do i Need a special chain for 1x10?

Cheers
I was running a n/w race face with a x9 no clutch. In the 3 months I have had it I never dropped a chain...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i put it on yesterday, went riding straight away, no clutch or guide, found the roughest most mean trails i could find, 0 drops, these rings are the ones! theyre awesome, i used the bolts from my track bike chainset :nono::p

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
i put it on yesterday, went riding straight away, no clutch or guide, found the roughest most mean trails i could find, 0 drops, these rings are the ones! theyre awesome, i used the bolts from my track bike chainset :nono::p
NoahPhillips, How is the Moonlander working for you still?

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I have RF 30t and X9 w/ no clutch and have not dropped a chain. I do have some fairly decent chain slap though. But me no scare.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
right so ive done loads of riding, replaced my rear mech with Zee FR spec and oh my its perfect, saved weight, and it looks and shifts awesome, 0 chain slap with the shadow+ on, make sure you don't make the chain too short, its what I did and had to buy a new one, lucky I work in a bike shop eh? ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts