Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a raceface dues crankset with a Pantera or another Ventana frame with a 73mm BBshell?

I have a RaceFace Dues crank and bb I am installing on my pantera frame.

I followed the instructions on which spacers to put on the BB but when I put the XT-M760 front der. on it doesn't line up over the large ring like it should per the instructions.

Looks like maybe without a spacer it would line up.

According to the raceface instructions I need a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB and no spacers on the non drive side. Is this how others have theirs?

I believe I put one 1mm spacer on both sides of my cranks as well for a 49mm chain line.

Should I just go on with the setup with this spacer setting or should I move the silver 2.5 spacer to the non drive side and see if that makes the front derailleur line up better. I haven't put a chain on yet or run any cables.

Anyone have any guidance?

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
The right spacing!

Chewieez said:
Anyone here have a raceface dues crankset with a Pantera or another Ventana frame with a 73mm BBshell?

I have a RaceFace Dues crank and bb I am installing on my pantera frame.

I followed the instructions on which spacers to put on the BB but when I put the XT-M760 front der. on it doesn't line up over the large ring like it should per the instructions.

Looks like maybe without a spacer it would line up.

According to the raceface instructions I need a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB and no spacers on the non drive side. Is this how others have theirs?

I believe I put one 1mm spacer on both sides of my cranks as well for a 49mm chain line.

Should I just go on with the setup with this spacer setting or should I move the silver 2.5 spacer to the non drive side and see if that makes the front derailleur line up better. I haven't put a chain on yet or run any cables.

Anyone have any guidance?
Hi Chewieez,

I just installed a Race Face Atlas on my 04 Salt a few months ago, which uses the same installation instructions as the Deus! Yes, you put the 2.5 mm spacer on the drive side and no spacer on non drive side for 73mm BB shells! For the 49mm nominal chainline, which I was informed to use, add one black spacer seal to each side like it sounds like you already did! This spacing worked for my Salt! One other note is that it takes abit of torque to bottom out the RH crank bolt on the spindle! You have to torque it until it is a dead stop! Also, the BB shell should be faced before installing, my Salt was already faced when I got the frame from Ventana so I am thinking your Pantera is as well?
I am not familliar with the Pantera, but my Salt turned out great using this spacing! I got a little help from one of the Ventana pros on this forum which made the job easy for me! :D TIG.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info TIG!!!

I guess maybe once I get the cable and shifter installed the front derailleur will line up ok.

My newest problem I just found today is the red rebound knob on my brand new Vanilla fork can spin forever... it doesn't have 12 clicks like its supposed to... it just keeps turning. I'm going to bring it in on tuesday to get looked at! I hope I don't have to send it back to Fox.... I'm itching to get this bike finished!

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Hope things work out!

I have an 05 Vanilla fork on my Salt as well and love it so far! Make sure to post a picture of your Pantera when you are done! Have fun building up and of course riding the beast! :) TIG.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So I'm finally adjusting my derailleurs and I'm thinking maybe I need to change my chainline spacers....

I set it up for 49mm chain line but I am thinking a 48mm might be better.

The chain is having immense trouble getting up into the big ring upfront. I thought it would be easier if I put it in a lower gear in the back(smaller) but it is still having trouble.

I think maybe that 1mm of diffference in chainline might be all I need.

Does anyone else on here with a Pantera know what their chainline is set for?

I know its not all that hard to change it but I am trying to avoid taking my cranks on and off as the crankbolt is starting to strip a tiny bit with all the torque. I wish they gave you a steel bolt with the Dues and not aluminum!!

So does anyone have any advice with a dues/atlas chainline and a pantera?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Got An Atlas on My Pantera

Following the instructions, I used the one 2.5mm spacer on my installation and my chainline is fine. I'm no ace mechanic but this installation went just as planned. Not sure I can give you any useful info.

You might email Sherwood and ask him, he normally is real fast with tech help. Where did you buy the frame? You could ask for help from the dealer you bought the frame from unless it's mail order shop :(

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 2.5 spacer you mention is referring to the BB I assume.

i was asking about the 1mm spacers on either side of the crank arms. That maybe I should take the 1mm off the drive side and move it over to the non drive side to achieve a 48mm chainline instead of 49mm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.