Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've heard about the hollow bolt issues and the poor bearings and even the spine configuration issues. What years where those issues? I'm considering a set of Deus cranks to convert to singlespeed and want to get the one with the least issues. It would not break my heart to have the bearings go out and have to upgrade to a Chris King bearing but I don't want any other issues.

BTW I love the look and weight of these arms which is why I'm considering them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
The issues that you mentioned are well documented on these forums, but my experience with the '08 Deus' (so far) has been nothing but positive. I have been using them since February and weigh 200+ lbs. Aside from some creaking that was solved with some loctite on the aluminum chainring bolts, I have been extremely happy with the cranks. I cannot speak to the difference/improvements of the '07 compared to the '08 crank, but my previous experience with Shimano XT cranks has lead me to the conclusion that the Deus gives me more bang for the buck and a lot better aesthetics. The Deus' are great looking. I'm very happy with them.

·
sam575
163 Posts
I have 3 sets of Deus cranks currently running on my bikes. 1 x 2007 and 2 x 2008. Never had BB issues, however I have replaced them all with superior Hope and CK units.

Deus cranks are super stiff, look bling, have durable chainrings and offer a lifetime warranty. They have that handmade/raw look and feel...something you will never get with Shimano. I highly recommend them.

Only issue I have ever had is with creaking. Very annoying creaking! Many people complain about this in forums, however I think I have solved the problem!!! Creaking was never a issue until I stripped the crank and reinstalled the chainrings. I thought it was the suspension linkages for a whole year...but it wasn't. It was the chainrings/crankarms interface making the noise, so I greased all the chainring bolts and every contact point between crankarm and chainring. I have had no creaking for over 12 months since. Bang.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.