Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tryed Race Face Team Chainrings on XT Hollowtech 2 cranks?
My XT rings need replacement and I need your advise and/or recommendations.

Cheers Guys
d e a n o p a t o n i

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
No problems whatsoever. They feel a wee bit stiffer compared to unworn XT rings. They also last longer.

Happy New Year.
Thanks for the advice Jerk_Chicken. Think I'll give them a try.
Happy New Year

deanopatoni

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
Perfect fit

They fit perfectly. Last year when I needed to replace the ones on my wife's Yeti, I contacted Larry at Mountain High Cyclery (mtnhighcyclery.com). He had them in stock and sent them out ASAP after a quick phone call.

Michael

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
deanopatoni said:
Has anyone tryed Race Face Team Chainrings on XT Hollowtech 2 cranks?
My XT rings need replacement and I need your advise and/or recommendations.

Cheers Guys
d e a n o p a t o n i
The RF Dues middle ring didn't fit my M760 XT with the stock bolts. Maybe because I just changed the middle ring and not the whole set like the other guys. Personally, the RF didn't last very long for me, about 3 months. I replaced it with a Salsa that cost half as much.

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Homebrew said:
The RF Dues middle ring didn't fit my M760 XT with the stock bolts. Maybe because I just changed the middle ring and not the whole set like the other guys. Personally, the RF didn't last very long for me, about 3 months. I replaced it with a Salsa that cost half as much.
I've ordered a set. Fingers crossed hopefully they will fit. They better last longer that 3 months though as I'm fitting them complete with Sram PG990 cassette. Time will tell.
Thanks for your feedback.

deanopatoni

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
gonzostrike said:
they will fit. any 104mm 4-bolt pattern ring will fit.
I wasn't implying RF 104 rings didn't fit the bolt pattern. They do but there is an issue with the stock chainring bolts on the M760 only being halfway threaded. If you mix and match a replacement middle or big ring with the other stock ring, the bolts will bottom out before the rings are secured. I even tried an older M751 XT ring and it didn't work with the rest stock. You can either do a full set of replacements as mentioned, or if you're just changing the middle ring like I was, you'll need to replace with full threaded bolts or shorter chainring nuts.

It's a bit confusing but "situation normal" and fully intentional with Shimano Total Domination at work.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
There shouldn't be any difference replacing LX Hollowtech II rings, should there?

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Homebrew said:
I wasn't implying RF 104 rings didn't fit the bolt pattern. They do but there is an issue with the stock chainring bolts on the M760 only being halfway threaded.
this is why chainring bolts and anchor nuts come in different lengths/depths!

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Attached Bike

First ride on the attached bike.
Totally bought the right bike for me.
It rocked!!

deanopatoni

1 - 16 of 16 Posts