Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already got my hubs and spokes and now I just need my rims to be available.

Does anyone have any insight as to when Bontrager will start releasing the 2009 Race X Lite for sale not attached to a built set?

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, and they won't be available as just a rim for a couple months I'm sure as all the rims are dedicated to said wheelset builds. But they will have to sell them as replacements eventually as people bend and break their rims. I'm not going to buy a wheelset if I have to replace the entire front wheel just because I dent my rim.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You'll have an extremely hard time getting one.

Things might be different in America but in the UK - you have to prove you bought the wheels before you can buy a replacement rim. And you have to prove that the rim is wrecked - then pay for the rim....

Can i just ask though - why would you want them!?!

I just moved on from a pair of R X Lites and thank god i did. Fitting tyres was a nightmare, there not overly stiff and weighed 450 grams each!

Why not go for a Stans Rim ?

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well they are redesigned this year although I don't know exactly what that means. But I havent heard of any tire fitting issues. I am a fan of Bontrager tires anyway and if fitting those is an issue then Bontrager will lose me for life.

What do the Stans weigh and what is so great about them?

edit: and, do you mean the 2009 Race X Lite or any Bontrager rim because I could go build up my wheelset on the 2008 rim tomorrow without proving anything. But, when I bent my Duster rim, I had to buy a whole new wheel if I wanted to replace it because the 2009 were simply not available regardless of having bought the bike and destroying the rim.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Well the only change is that the rim is now made of scandium so it's a bit lighter. As far as im aware the rim profile is the same - it's still heavy for a XC rim.

Stans make great rims! Depending on your weight and the intended use they do rims as light as 285g ! For more "averag" XC there is the Stans 355 rim. 355grams and really nice.

Do you plan to run tubeless ? If so Stans rims are great - all you need is a 5g tape and 7g valve and your good to go.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Tiffster said:
Well the only change is that the rim is now made of scandium so it's a bit lighter. As far as im aware the rim profile is the same - it's still heavy for a XC rim.

Stans make great rims! Depending on your weight and the intended use they do rims as light as 285g ! For more "averag" XC there is the Stans 355 rim. 355grams and really nice.

Do you plan to run tubeless ? If so Stans rims are great - all you need is a 5g tape and 7g valve and your good to go.
Except Stans "tubeless" is non-standard while the Bonty TLR rims are to UST-spec. The only tires designed to be used without inner tubes on Stans Notubes rims are the Notubes The Crow/Raven.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
True - but how many people have issues with the Stans tubeless concept ? Not many.

Having tried it with my Race X lites fitting tubeless tyres was an utter nightmare. And Wire bead tyres - not something you want if you need to fix a puncture in the middle of nowhere

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
kevbikemad said:
not true. many other tires can be used and work great.
No, it is exactly true. Re-read it.
"The only tires designed to be used without inner tubes on Stans Notubes rims are the Notubes The Crow/Raven."
Even Notubes will admit that. I did not say other tires will not work. Many do. But many will not work, too. Notubes also admits that.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
shiggy said:
No, it is exactly true. Re-read it.
"The only tires designed to be used without inner tubes on Stans Notubes rims are the Notubes The Crow/Raven."
Even Notubes will admit that. I did not say other tires will not work. Many do. But many will not work, too. Notubes also admits that.
no kidding. that is why they publish the list on their site. MANY tires do work... and the Crow and Raven even work on other rims, even though they were not "designed too"... AMAZING!

OP - people like notubes rims because they work, they are light and convert to tubeless well. not just with the crow and raven.

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One last question.

Does anyone have an idea how much these will be per rim when they are available? I am expecting to pay 100 a pop but if they are going to be much more than that I might start looking at other options.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's funny to hear you say that while there is a thread in 29er on Xlite vs Crossmax where everyone is shouting how great the Xlite wheels are.

I think I will be happy with my choice.

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I have to pick something and I am hearing a lot of positive feedback on the Race X Lite wheelsets this year. Your feedback is from an older version but everyone seems to be loving this years.

Plus they will be handbuilt by a quality wheelbuilder (not me) on CK hubs with high quality spokes.

I think they will perform beautifully but if I am wrong I promise, I will find this thread and let the world know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.