Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have both of these bikes and was wondering if anyone else has the nagging problem of deciding which bike to use in a race.

·
Forging Elite Awesomeness
772 Posts
What type of race? In most cases the epic is likely the better bet but if your going to do say a 24hr race the extra cushion of the stumpy might help. Oh who cares, if you can't decide give me one! ;)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I would mostly agree, I was trying to decide between 2002 S-Works FSR and an S-Works Epic. I have both and decided to switch to the epic, although its a bit harsher at times, it IS faster and I've found myself clearing crazy technical uphill sections I never dreamed of with the 2002 FSR

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bhsavery said:
I would mostly agree, I was trying to decide between 2002 S-Works FSR and an S-Works Epic. I have both and decided to switch to the epic, although its a bit harsher at times, it IS faster and I've found myself clearing crazy technical uphill sections I never dreamed of with the 2002 FSR

I should of been clearer, I have a stumpjumper hard tail and a Epic. I would think the decision is a lot harder this way. I just cannot figure out if a lose time downhill using the hardtail vs the Epic. I guess i should do some trial runs. What do you think?

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
cmaz44 said:
I should of been clearer, I have a stumpjumper hard tail and a Epic. I would think the decision is a lot harder this way. I just cannot figure out if a lose time downhill using the hardtail vs the Epic. I guess i should do some trial runs. What do you think?
Wish I had that dilemma.

I think it comes down to what the weight difference is between your two particular bikes (I'm curious, which models do you have and what's the weight difference?); and whether any weight difference for the presumably-heavier Epic is justified by the roughness on the course.

I'd tend to err on the side of the Epic for all but really smooth race courses. But I don' t think you can go too wrong here.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Epic...

Climbs better, thus makes you faster...

I climb things on an Epic that I honestly say I wouldn't be able to get over...(or at least getting over them is far faster and easier..)

Why? Brain... Drool....................

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barkdog said:
Wish I had that dilemma.

I think it comes down to what the weight difference is between your two particular bikes (I'm curious, which models do you have and what's the weight difference?); and whether any weight difference for the presumably-heavier Epic is justified by the roughness on the course.

I'd tend to err on the side of the Epic for all but really smooth race courses. But I don' t think you can go too wrong here.
Well I first got the Epic off of Ebay for a sweet deal I could not pass up. It was the disc model with a xt drivetrain and lx front derailer. The fork is the rl 100. I got all this for $1400 Last week I purchased the Stumpjumper hardtail marathon disc for $2499 thats 300 off the manu price. I loved the detail and it came with the fx80 fox fork which was my dream fork to have. After racing last week on a really smooth fast course, I felt kind of slow, may it was just me, I just did not feel right. I did race with the spec, pro tires 2.1 which I think are very slow. I think the epic is only 2 pounds heavier and thats because of the different specs. My initial intention was to use the epic for only rough course, but I am thinking if I put the fx80 fork on the epic it would just as good as the hardtail. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have that same bike (Stumpy Marathon HT) and an S-works SJ120. I would think on smooth courses w/ lots of climbing the Stumpy would be faster. That is a full-on race bike. I converted the tires to tubeless and added a cane creek thudbuster seat post. It's sweet. But on rough courses, I'll be racing the SJ120. IMHO, I think it's just as fast as an Epic.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
farmertan said:
I have that same bike (Stumpy Marathon HT) and an S-works SJ120. I would think on smooth courses w/ lots of climbing the Stumpy would be faster. That is a full-on race bike. I converted the tires to tubeless and added a cane creek thudbuster seat post. It's sweet. But on rough courses, I'll be racing the SJ120. IMHO, I think it's just as fast as an Epic.
For races I plan on throwing my Cross Max SL UST Rims with Maxxis Igniters tubless tires 1.95. I think the specialized pro tires are too slow. I agree with you about the stumpy and that the epic is only needed for the rough spots.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just to give you and idea of the weight difference. I have the 05 Stumpjumper Marathon Disc as well, and a mate had an 05 Epic Marathon Disc. Mine is 17" and his is a medium. They were both bought with stock specs and have the following modifications/add-ons:

On my Stumpjumper - Avid Juicy 7's, SRAM X0 rear derailleur, X9 triggers, Thomson stem (100mm), Carbon flat bar, Ritchey bar ends, Yeti hardcore grips, Shimano 540 pedals and Python Air Light tyres.

On his Epic - Hayes HFX Mag plus (w/ all the Ti stuff), SRAM Rocket triggers, Thomson stem (100mm), Easton MonkeyLite risers, Ti EggBeaters, Python AirLight tyres using Stans Tubeless system.

We weighed them and his Epic came out to be just under a kilo heavier. So if the Epic was running the same spec as me, we assumed it would be around 1.4kg heavier due his lighter brakeset, pedals and tubeless.

IMO, I would use the Stumpjumper on the smoother and/or climbing courses. IF there are continuous amounts of rocks and rock garders, then the Epic may be better as it will probably save your back and keep you fresher.

HTH

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AzzaC said:
Just to give you and idea of the weight difference. I have the 05 Stumpjumper Marathon Disc as well, and a mate had an 05 Epic Marathon Disc. Mine is 17" and his is a medium. They were both bought with stock specs and have the following modifications/add-ons:

On my Stumpjumper - Avid Juicy 7's, SRAM X0 rear derailleur, X9 triggers, Thomson stem (100mm), Carbon flat bar, Ritchey bar ends, Yeti hardcore grips, Shimano 540 pedals and Python Air Light tyres.

On his Epic - Hayes HFX Mag plus (w/ all the Ti stuff), SRAM Rocket triggers, Thomson stem (100mm), Easton MonkeyLite risers, Ti EggBeaters, Python AirLight tyres using Stans Tubeless system.

We weighed them and his Epic came out to be just under a kilo heavier. So if the Epic was running the same spec as me, we assumed it would be around 1.4kg heavier due his lighter brakeset, pedals and tubeless.

IMO, I would use the Stumpjumper on the smoother and/or climbing courses. IF there are continuous amounts of rocks and rock garders, then the Epic may be better as it will probably save your back and keep you fresher.

HTH
Thanks for your response, I think my consensus is the same as yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts