Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy all... i want to do a race this summer, and want to be in shape for it, so, any ideas on how to train to peak on race day? should i place my heaviest workouts on the same day of the week as the race will be? should my rest day be the day after, the day before, or does it matter? any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated, thanks, and have a good one :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
ride, ride, ride, rest and repeat

are you training for just ONE race or racing in general over the entire season. you might as well do more than one if you are going to be training.

anyway, there is just too much to tell you, basically, go buy the Mountain Bikers Training Bible or any other cycling training book, that would be the best way to go.

VERY Basic Overview
3 different types of stages or phases
1 - Base - long easy to moderate rides 8-12 weeks at least (more base is better), building up time on the bike, try to put in more time each week.

2 - Build - less time, but more intensity, intervals, pace rides, getting specific (start doing races) - again 8 - 12 weeks depending on schedule for your season

3 - Peak - even less time on the bike, but high race like intensity in short periods of time. 2 - 4 weeks depending on schedule for season - this is when you want your important race to fall in.

In all Stages, take a rest week every 4th week. Ride at least 4 days a week, but always take at least 1 day of rest each week.

Again, those are the basics. Don't go too hard to early in the season.

BTW, I like a VERY hard effort about 72 hours before a big race and a very easy pre ride of the race course the day before if possible (1 hr max), lots of pasta, water and sleep.

Good luck.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the tips, and i will get a book... just the one race this year, but i want to be competitive in it (the downieville classic, xc) I guess the most pressing question was weather or not i needed to schedule my big ride day for the same day of the week as the race falls on. again, thanks

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Umm, I don't think you should be expecting any outstanding results from just one race. It takes several races to start understanding racing tactics, such as how to pace yourself, when to pass, working with other riders, eating and hydrating during a race, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Depending on the timing of your target race, you could reach for a fitness peak prior to your target event. Then get recovered and build to a second peak for the downieville XC.
Building up to a second peak can produce a higher level of fitness than the first peak. This would also give you a chance to check your fitness by racing against the competition before your target event.
I would echo the same concerns about not racing prior to your target event. You will have a hard time replicating the same stress in training that a race provides. Handling skills are made crisp by racing as well. Also there can be a "mysterious" difference in how your body responds to fueling during a race compared to training.
I would enter a spring race(s) to see if my training needs tweaking.
Your "big" training day does not neccesarily need to be the same day of the week as the event.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, last time i did this race, i was something like fourth from last, so id consider anywhere in the middle to be 'outstanding results', i will look for a race to do in mid june, though, given the input ive gotten here, its much appreciated. you guys seem to be pretty into racing, and have a pretty good idea what youre talking about, as an old fat guy with kids, i dont think ill ever be that into it, but it sould be nice to be able to ride longer and faster without hurting so much, and the occasional race is a blast.... thanks again, and have a good one

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
FatTire said:
I guess the most pressing question was weather or not i needed to schedule my big ride day for the same day of the week as the race falls on. again, thanks
Nope, that won't make any difference to how fit you can train yourself to become. It would be a good thing to do for 2 weeks prior to your race to get in a routine groove.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
a good pain

FatTire said:
well, last time i did this race, i was something like fourth from last, so id consider anywhere in the middle to be 'outstanding results', i will look for a race to do in mid june, though, given the input ive gotten here, its much appreciated. you guys seem to be pretty into racing, and have a pretty good idea what youre talking about, as an old fat guy with kids, i dont think ill ever be that into it, but it sould be nice to be able to ride longer and faster without hurting so much, and the occasional race is a blast.... thanks again, and have a good one
good news is you have LOTS of room for improvement.

doing a race or two before will make your target race go better. know what to expect, what not to do etc.

there are LOTS of us who also have kids, wife, jobs/businesses etc and are STILL into doing as much racing and training as possible. (it usually makes us happier people to live with.)

as so you know, just because you have trained, will not make the pain/hurting any less, you will just be faster for longer with the same pain... but you may even like the pain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.