Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got posed a question over dinner last night, do I race to train, or train to race.
Hmm made me think sometimes, but mostly train to race I think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Got posed a question over dinner last night, do I race to train, or train to race.
Hmm made me think sometimes, but mostly train to race I think...

Both if you have the opportunity.

Obviously training for a race is important. If there are races taking place before your big/planned race, race those races as training.

A lot to learn from a race that can't be duplicated in training.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Train to race for sure. But you need to train the race too. Like position and follow some stronger guys. Or technical descents. So again train to race but put some races as training in you schedule.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I hate training. I ride and try to get "training" in by disguising it as riding around, but still pushing hard. However I have entered some races mostly as prep for other races.

Reactions: RonSonic

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
I hate training. I ride and try to get "training" in by disguising it as riding around, but still pushing hard. However I have entered some races mostly as prep for other races.
^^This. I have specific races that I care about but they are mostly late in the season (e.g. Breck Epic); I train during the off season to keep in shape but I'll enter some local (SoCal) races early on (Feb-May) to see where I'm at fitness-wise and to get some intensity into my legs. It helps later on.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I prefer the 'journey' to the end goal if I'm honest. Too much can go wrong on the day that is out of anyones control, whereas if something goes wrong in your training one day then there is always tomorrow! Training lets me ride my bike more and further so a win win.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is it for me! I would not change a thing if I stopped racing. I train to become a better me and race because I can.
Yea jbell, I think you described it perfectly. It's what I do everyday and I love doing it.
Whether it's training or riding, don't really care, it's fun to me.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Yea jbell, I think you described it perfectly. It's what I do everyday and I love doing it.
Whether it's training or riding, don't really care, it's fun to me.
Agree with both jbell and this.

I started structured training for the first time last Dec, and have worked my ass off, with just a few events thus far. I love the training, and the events are just byproducts that I do anyway. I played football through college, and have religiously worked out since (lifting, running, mountain biking), but always "just" to work out. At 55, the training really suits me, and harkens back to my football days, where you just put your head down and did what the coach told you. I like executing practices, working on stuff, and seeing results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,880 Posts
Training, in the form of off-the-bike, has lots of benefits that are hard to match while riding and racing. Training on the bike is usually beneficial. It can be difficult to match race-intensity on your own rides, but on the other hand, it can also be difficult to reach that intensity frequently enough if you are just racing and not training. Supplementing the riding with off-the-bike training is usually an excellent way to help maintain and get better when you aren't racing every couple days. You also get to do things like strengthen your back, upper body, core, etc., which has significant riding benefits.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My style:
Do all the races if they don’t compromise your A race.

No A race? Race them all. Race your way into fitness and learn key takeaways from every race.
Those guys that only race in their peak form at courses that only suit their skills and power to weight....It’s a lie, and it’s boring. It’s egotistical in the sense that you can’t let people see you out of form.

One takeaway from last season. If I am racing a ton, not to taper for B or C races and just keep building fitness.

Racing is fun, and so are the times with fellow racers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.