Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 will see me making my first try at racing. Wondering if I can get some suggestions on a good shoe. Some comments are:

1) about a $150 budget
2) I should be on the bike the entire time (ie. no un-rideable uphills I'd have to push up)
3) lighter the better
4) Crank Bros. Eggbeater SL pedals
5) races range from winter, spring, and fall time periods

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
You can find Mavic's, Sidi, and Shimano all day long for that price. If you look on ebay you can probably find some of their higher end models near your budget (and I mean new).

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Take a close look at Specialized shoes. Best fit for me and long wearing shoe - well made. There are lots of good ones out there, but the Specialized shoes fit well and are very comfortable for long stints in the saddle. No hot spots or weird rubbing and a roomy toe box good for thicker socks in cold weather - some cycling shoes fit well, but only with thin cycling socks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
This really depends so much on your feet. I'd say most models in that price segment are pretty good.

I always go with Northwave (Aerlite) since my feet are a little bit wider than average feet. SIDI (Dominator or Eagle) in contrast run rather narrow. If possible you should really try first.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the suggestions thus far. I will look into those which have been mentioned.

I have a rather wide foot - I have been wearing a pair of Time MXT's I got on Nashbar for about $30 almost 3 years ago. I can't kill those things - they just keep going.

But, I'd like to get a nicer pair and knock some grams off my feet as well.

I'd be interesting in reading what shoes any of you have and why you race in them as well.

Thanks again folks...

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
I am currently racing in Sidi Dominator 5 Mega (wide). I like them, but can't say I love them. I replaced the insole because the one it comes with is crap. I'll probably look at Specialized or Mavic for next year.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I had a pair of Lake mx235s that were boss for enduros. Tad heavy, but good. Rubber sole was good for hike a bikes on the rocks. Beware some of the "boa" lace systems. Had a friend that had more than his share of race day issues with them. This year I just stuck with my trusty all velco Sidis. I have grown to fear buckles, straps and gizmos on shoes. And they fit me great.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Spec

I love the specialized experts. They are about the lightest out there, they have a stiff sole, and good traction for those off the saddle moments. I usually pick up the previous years models every year for around $100.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I use SIDI and Bontrager RXL's.....but whatever shoe you get beak them in and the cleat. I also use egg beaters but use them a bunch of times so they wear out or use your old ones.

The last thing you want is to have to mess with getting your cleat in if you get off your bike.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you kindly for taking the time to respond. Looking at each suggestion and will use what I research to make a decision. Helps to get the advice of those who have made this decision before me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've used Carnac and Northwave. I too have a wider foot, and I've found their toe boxes more comfortable than most. Sidi makes a some models with various widths (Quax is right though, their regular models are a bit narrow). Either way, I'd recommend using an insert / insole; it will make the shoes even more comfortable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've really liked my SIDI Dominator 5's, but as with saddles, shoe fit/comfort will vary with the individual.

They meet your objectives nicely, though you'll have to look for deals to get them in the market at the price range that you're after (it's out there - keep an eye on Sierra Trading Post, among places).

In mentioning my only quirk with them - that I wear a half-size, which was a serendipitous find since most places stock whole-sizes only - I'd like to suggest to buy the size that fits best, new out of the box, as I've found the size/fit/shape to stay true even after break-in and substantial use (i.e., not much stretching/deformation).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.