Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Dude Abides
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this post doesn't really have much to do with Ellsworth, but yoose guys are my peeps, so I wanted to show you the secret world of The Dude.

This is my fourth year of hosting this race (I also work on another race for labor day). I'm co-director with my housemate, and for the past three years we've done a flat land course littered with small stunts. With gravity being so en vogue, we moved to our local ski hill to bring the people what they want. We had a proper downhill race as well as the very unique technical dual slalom.

The downhill consisted of two sections basically; the top singletrack and the wide open bottom. The singletrack is super steep, with some really cool back-to-back, s-turn type switchbacks. You can see in one of the pics that it wasn't a cake walk. The bottom section consisted of a couple of step ups and bit floater jumps. Not much pedaling in the entire course since the top was so steep and tight you were on the brakes the whole time, and the bottom was so fast you didn't really have enough gears to pedal. We wanted to make the course diverse and dynamic as to not cater to just one type of rider or bike. People were really stoked on the course, lots of positive reactions.

The technical dual slalom consisted of a track with 3 wooden stunts meant to challenge different skills, then a big, 25' table top to finish it off. Head to head racing is so exciting to watch and there were definately some good finishes. Nothing like seeing two people jumping 25 feet inches away from each other in the air. We had probably 200 specators come out at watch, so that was really cool too. We are trying to get mountain biking more visible in the community and hopefully a fun event like this can help.

To help keep this Ellsworth oriented, the first pic in the list here is me on my Elle just after landing the first step up on the DH (the pic below is the same jump from a different angle). There was also a fella there with a Dare, not bad considered we are way up in the middle of nowhere.

For anyone interested, here is the link to our race website http://www.chaindrive.org/
If you're in the midwest, think about checking us out. We had over 270 for the cross country race Saturday (16 and 32 mile point to point, mostly singletrack) and over 60 for the gravity events Sunday. I can guarantee it will be one of the best races you'll go to all year.

Clothing Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

Clothing Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle

Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

·
The Dude Abides
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More Pics

Clothing Wheel Tire Land vehicle Bicycle wheel
This is what makes dual slalom racing so cool
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle
Bummer :eekster:
Audio equipment Microphone Electronic device Summer Music artist
Me being a super awesome MC for the technical dual slalom
Clothing Wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel
This is my partner in crime (race co-director) on his very pretty Supermoto

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Very cool, Dude! :thumbsup: Looks like a killer day and the weather cooperated!

Where's the post-race pix with the obligatory babelicious groupies at the techno Rave ala every Red Bull and Whister event shown in "Decline" magazine?:D

·
Registered
727 Posts
Great job Dude! Glad your event turned out so well. Way to go.

Some nice action shots too, I especially like the ones where the fallen heros were kicking up dirt.

"yoose guys are my peeps". I like that! You can post whatever you want here anytime. Thanks for sharing.

But like Chad, I also demand some babelicious groupie shots!

·
The Dude Abides
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You hornballs.....

Clearly you fellas don't truely understand the Keweenaw. Babalicious groupie chicks are a rare species here. It is not their natural habitat. We're in a remote town, with long winters, whos driving force is an engineering university. Don't get me wrong, we've got some babes. There are definately cuties that ride bikes (unfortunately, most have boyfriends. fortunately one of them dates me :D ). But if its hooched out, UP hotties you're looking for, Marquette is where you'll have to go.

As a peace offering, here is a sequence of photos from the only girls to do the slalom race. Somehow coming over the finish line they drifted into each other. Long story short, pedal in wheel, girls go down, wheel gets munched.

Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle Soil

Clothing Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Mountain bike

Soil Land lot Bicycle wheel House Rural area

Neighbourhood Land lot Soil Rural area House

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.